Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any software for the mac that will track inventory via a usb barcode scanner? i.e. when a barcode is scanned it subtracts from the inventory.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Is there any software for the mac that will track inventory via a usb barcode scanner? i.e. when a barcode is scanned it subtracts from the inventory.
There are a few retail packages that will do this, one being Lightspeed.

I'm working on something for a FileMaker customer right now and I'm finding out things that have been done in FileMaker. One thing I wasn't aware of is that some scanners can be programmed to add automatic CR (carriage return or Enter key) to the end of what they scan. This can help to achieve what I think you are looking for.

Also other suggestions I've seen from other FileMaker developers are to create barcodes that have standard 'functions' on them. Put these barcodes on a sheet of paper near the computer and so when you want to do something you scan the function barcode first and then scan UPC second.

Hope this helps,

G

·
What's with everyone here and their filemaker fetish? ;) Why is it that whenever someone asks a question related to tracking or anything that might potentially work with a database is the stock answer "Filemaker is the way to go."

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
No way of doing this in exel is there?
Not that I'm aware of. It might be possible, but it's not really what Excel was designed for. Filemaker is definitely the way to go.

What's with everyone here and their filemaker fetish? ;) Why is it that whenever someone asks a question related to tracking or anything that might potentially work with a database is the stock answer "Filemaker is the way to go."
Because it is! ;) Filemaker is the most under-utilized programs on the market right now. I would urge every Mac and PC user to pick up a copy, and start tinkering with it. You'd be amazed what it can do.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
JumboJones,

If you invest in Filemaker, I'd be happy to design a basic Filemaker system for you. I've been developing some other solutions, and am always looking for new challenges.

If it isn't too elaborate, I would do it gratis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts