Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to bitch about Inuit Canada. For the past four years I've bought their Quicktax software for my Mac. They send me a reminder every year and I always buy it. This year they send me a reminder and order form... for the Windows version only. DUH!

Anyway, I go to their site and they do have a Mac version but it is obviously not for OS X as it will run on System 7.5 and up. So I sent them an e-mail asking if it will run inside Classic. They sent me an autoresponse and then... (four days later) nothing!

Anyway, to make myself feel better I sent their order form back and wrote across it "I've bought the Mac version for the past four years. Why are you sending me an order form for the Windows version only?"

I'm really unimpressed, especially as their CEO is on the Apple Board of Directors.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree. This has been a constant bitch of mine for a while. Last year they released the Mac version of Quicktax two months after the windoze version. Not only that, but they only released the "deluxe" version, meaning that you have to pay $20 more for a bunch of useless quicktime animations.

One can't yell and scream too much though - Intuit did release Quicken 2002 for OSX relatively quickly, and it's a free pack-in with the new iMacs. They were even nice enough to upgrade my old copy of Quicken 5.0 to Quicken 98 for free.

Maybe it's just the Canadian QuickTax people that get us all pissed off. I hope that coupon doesn't give a rebate to returning windoze users. I got it, and promptly threw it out without really looking at it...

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Intuit is very unresponsive to letters, etc. I have waited over 2 hours for phone support (I'm paying the toll), trying to fix what apparently was a known bug in one version of eFile (I think TaxYear 1998). The solution: save the file to a floppy, and open that file from within QuickTax to eFile. Glad I called, there was no way I was going to come up with that by myself. Good thing I didn't have an iMac.

This was when QuickTax offered a "money-back guarantee" if you wern't satisfied, and I wasn't. I phoned, sent an eMail and a snailmail request for my "money-back guarantee", but heard/saw/cashed nothing.

They send me not one but two of their Windows mailings about every 3 weeks, starting in December. Needless to say, no amount of communication on my part results in eliminating the dupilcate mailing on their part. I guess I get treated so well because I bought my first copy for tax year 1994. It came on 2 floppies, and looks pretty much exactly like the CD version we buy today. Hmmmm...

The "Deal" Windows users get is "Free" Norton Utilities. Intuit's idea of free differs somewhat from mine, though. You have to buy the app first, and send for a rebate. Worse, the rebate only covers the upgrade cost for previous owners of the full, boxed, retail version. OEM users (installed with a new PC) aren't eligible, although anyone can buy a new retail copy and get the rebate to partly offset the cost.

In other words, throw 'em away; you aren't missing much.

This really begs the question as to how, exactly, Intuit is even able to justify making QuickTax for Macintosh, seeing as how their own databases consist of 100% Windows customers.

I went so far as to buy GriffTax last year (it's Mac-only and even runs on System 6). Unfortunatly the interface made me long for paper forms, and I couldn't get eFile to work at all. Stubborn and more than a little upset with Intuit, I decided to print and mail the return. Well, printing didn't work either. However, they were quick to respond to all inquiries, and tried in vain to solve my problems. When I asked for a refund, I had an eMail the next day detailing the credit to my card.

I ended up eFiling a new return prepared on a borrowed copy of QuickTax for Windows, via Virtual PC. Interestingly, when the TaxMan sent me my summary, there were a few errors (recalculations) on my QuickTax return. When I checked the figures against my electronic copy, Grifftax's numbers matched Revenue Canada's to the penny. Oh, well.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Geeze. The first year I *DON'T* use QuickTax (I had an accountant do it cuz my records were a mess) they go and completely screw up every Mac customer the next following year.

Sorry guys, it's probably my fault.

:cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've been using GriffTax for several years and will do so again this year. NetFile worked fine for me last year.
GriffTax does have a quirky interface which can take a bit of getting used to but that soon passes.

And, since this thread deals with Intuit Canada, is anyone using Quicken 2002 for the Mac on OS X with success? There have been reports of problems (on MacFixIt and elsewhere) and I thought I might stick with Quicken 2000 in Classic mode till I'm sure a switch is worth it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had a bunch of gripes with Quicken 2002. Here's a sampling:

-Interface (when putting in new transactions) is much more cramped, and uses Quartz to antialias the text, resulting in fuzzy, 8-point text. It makes reconciliations a chore.

-Speaking of, when I imported my Quicken 98 file into 2001 (I've been using in for some 4 years now), and tried to reconcile an account, it told me it had a discrepancy, and refused to show what period it was in. At all. Thus, making it impossible to reconcile anything.

Therefore, I'm sticking with good old Quicken 98 for a while. If Quicken 2000/2001 has features I need (which I doubt, since I have no investments, portfolio, and Quicken doesn't interface with TD), maybe I'll upgrade later.

Overall, Quicken 2002 is a good effort for people who are just starting out. If you're upgrading, I'd avoid it for now until they get the bugs worked out.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Holy crap, this is an old thread!

:)

-J.

PS: I used the online version of Quicktax, and it worked just fine...

·
Registered
762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Todd
Bring TaxCut for Mac to Canada.

Write to:

[email protected] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd rather support a Canadian company like GriffTax or Taxwiz than an U.S. company. :rolleyes:
I used Taxwiz on my Windoz box, but now that I have a Mac Taxwiz doesn't have a Mac version. Now I guess it will be GriffTax, there doesn't seem to be any other options (in my opinion :eek: )

·
Registered
565 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'd rather support a Canadian company like GriffTax or Taxwiz than an U.S. company.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd rather support the first company that makes a good OSX Canada income tax program. If it takes a US company to do it, then get it done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts