Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what people generally use to protect their Macs while on the Internet. I know Macs are immune to many viruses, but there must be some need for concern? What about hacking etc.? I have never really used firewall or antivirus software before. Mostly looking for a name and recommendation. Is it still Norton and how necessary is it? Thanks in advance.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,358 Posts
jeac5, good morning. Have you utilized the new internet security from Aliant? It is supposed to be the "latest and the greatest" here in the Atlantic provinces, but I have yet to speak to someone who actually utilizes this service. Have a fine day.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
First of all, if you use OSX, turn on the Firewall built in. That's a great start.

Most of us use a Cable/DSL router, which offers Network Address Translation (NAT); currently I only have 1 computer hooked up but I still run the router for this very reason. That's a good step 2, or a great step 1 if you use OS9/Win98 etc.

If you use OSX run HenWen which is a OSX version of Snort. Snort is available for Linux/UNIX and Windows as well. It monitors your net connection and in conjunction with the included LetterStick utility, notifies you when any hanky-panky goes on. They're both free. You absolutely must read the manual to install any version of Snort.

Once you run these tools, you can decide if you need more. In general, if you aren't using your computer as a server, these are adequate for home use. If you are using the computer for business or server use, you need to explore more security options.

As for virus protection, many people get by with nothing on a Mac. Although I wouldn't recommend that, it has worked so far for many. Avoid opening attachments, avoid sending attachments you recieve via eMail to Windows users, and also avoid using MS eMail applications, if you decide you don't want to use AntiVirus SW.

Although there have been few viruses written to attack Macs, it's not exactly corrrect to say Macs are "immune" to viruses. They're not.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, gordguide and Dr. G. for the replies. Dr. G., I just checked out the Aliant option and alas, you guessed it, they don't support the Mac. So, what else is new, eh? I appreciate the suggestion, though. Hope this finds you well!

gordguide, I do have OSX but am easing myself into it, I suppose. Also, I keep reading here about how it is rather painful to use if you have a low processing speed and/or less than 512MB RAM. I have both, unfortunately. Currently, 256MB on a Lombard 400Mhz G3. Still, I do plan to try and when and if so, will use the built-in firewall.
I don't want to use a router at this time, so I will explore other options but really do thank you for the advice.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
With OS9, all you have to do is make sure file sharing is off.

I wouldn't go as far as saying OS9 is unhackable; but so far, nobody has been able to do it without the user's help * (ie bad configuration).

* A number of contests which offer prizes for hacking OS8/9 computers over the years have been offered. Prizes ranged from a Free Powerbook from Apple Europe (contest ran from June 4 to July 31 1997) to cash prizes of up to $100K US. Nobody has ever paid a prize out. The Apple challenge is typical: break into the computer located at the IP address published, and change any part of a text file called "Try Me".

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeac5:
Also, I keep reading here about how it is rather painful to use if you have a low processing speed and/or less than 512MB RAM. I have both, unfortunately. Currently, 256MB on a Lombard 400Mhz G3.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I've run OS X on that very same machine, with less RAM (192MB) and it runs fine. It's no speed demon, but It works well.

Most of the thoughts on OS X speed on older hardware is pretty subjective. I find the negative views generally expect OS X to be faster than 9, which isn't very realistic. OS 9 is a much "snappier" user interface on these older machines. It also takes only about 300MB where OS X is close to 2GB.

Once fully updated (10.2.5) you should find OS X to be fine on your machine.

:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts