Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of replacing my CD rom drive in a G3 beige with an inexpensive CDRW. Do any of you know if the models sold in Future Shop (LG, Pine) work in a beige and will actually permit startup from a CD? What about the Pioneer A-105?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
LG's Combo (CD-RW/DVD) drive works like a charm in a Beige G3 - got one myself and it's bootable.

·
Hotwiring another cessna
389 Posts
I've installed a 4 or 5 CDR/W drives into beige machines with no problems. LG/Phillips etc. It seems that unless you replace the drive with same manufacture (make of drive) your removing that you can't boot from CD. Pretty sure its an chipset motherboard thing.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Lite-On model LTR-48246S works perfectly, boots OS X, supports all Finder burning functions, Backup, iTunes, etc.

I bought mine last year, and initially used it in my beige G3, then transferred to my "new" Sawtooth G4. Works perfectly in both Macs.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
It seems that unless you replace the drive with same manufacture (make of drive) your removing that you can't boot from CD. Pretty sure its an chipset motherboard thing.
Not true at all. I replaced my Apple-branded CD-ROM for a LG CD-RW/DVD Combod rive and it's bootable without a hitch, hacked drivers or anything else (modifications). Bootable out of the box. It depends on the manufacturer on whether or not their CD-ROM is Mac-bootable, not your logic board.

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, JAMG; that was a very useful pointer. I knew about that XLR8yourMac website, but I didn't know it covered CD/DVD drives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts