·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like this drive here:
http://www.plextor.com/english/products/20_10.html

At it says below it:

"E-IDE (ATAPI-4) interface"

Is that interface compitable with the Mac? (IDE/ATA?)
Also, when they list as it works under Windows only, is that technically true? I've never heard of a CD-ROM drive that is Mac or PC only.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i read the link and it does say that the drive is MAC compatible.

ATAPI is, i believe, just ATA Peripheral Interface

IDE is Integrated Device E.........

since they say it should work and the new mac's hava an ata(pi) bus, it should work as well

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
i read the link and it does say that the drive is MAC compatible.

ATAPI is, i believe, just ATA Peripheral Interface

IDE is Integrated Device E.........

since they say it should work and the new mac's hava an ata(pi) bus, it should work as well

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Whether it says IDE, EIDE, ATA or ATAPI, there are all basically the same thing. In fact, most of the terms are marketing terms for slightly faster better versions of the original IDE spec.

Anyway, yes, it should work sans probleme, in fact very few internal IDE drives (in my experience screwing around with different drives) don't work.

--PB

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys! I missed the "Mac OS" in the system requirements. And I wasn't sure about that interface stuff, although I doubted it was something other than IDE/ATA.

I was looking through the CyderDrive web site (www.cyberdrive.com) and saw that every single one of their drives is listed as PC-only, when they are all through the same interface as the Plextor drives. Why they market it that way, I'm not sure... it should work with the Mac. (maybe CyderDrive's included software isn't for the Mac? Probably.)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Often if the software bundle doesn't have Mac applications, they will not say it is Mac-compatible, even if the HW itself is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts