Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an interesting speed test, whats your results. Do you have photoshop 7? I ran this test in OS X.

If so here is a test, that I am would be intrested in seeing the results.

Make a RGB image of 15 x 15cm with at 500 DPI, the run a Gassian Blur at 250, with preview off. Check the timing tool to see how fast it is.

My G4 is 9.3 seconds, my iBook is 22 seconds.

The fastest I have ever seen it was, 4.6 on a DP 1GHz with 512 of Ram.

Whats your guys timing?

·
Registered
778 Posts
my test came out to 11 seconds on an 800 TiBook

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I will not be able to run this test for a few weeks, but with regards to the DP, is there not a way of optimizing for DP units vs SP units? Meaning that I would expect a faster time on the DP. But whatever.... I'll try to run that soon. I may do it on PS6 w/ OS9 on a iMac DV 400 for fun.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
well this looked interesting, so i did it for fun, even though i don't qualify! :D

photoshop 6.0
windozexp pro
256mb pc2100 ddr ram
athlonxp 1800+ (1.53 ghz)

30.4s!
:D

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello jonmon

Sorry your on a windows machine guy. But it is proof again that the Mac is generally faster than the PC.
Truth be told, this test only measures on thing, it is not the final say on how fast the machine is.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Nick wrote:
Sorry your on a windows machine guy. But it is proof again that the Mac is generally faster than the PC.

It depends. Adobe screwed up when they released Photoshop 6.0 for the PC (they basically shipped a debug version of Photoshop, which is considerably slower than a normal version of Photoshop). When Adobe released Photoshop 6.0.1 for the PC, most of the performance problems were fixed.

I suspect that jonmon is running Photoshop 6.0, simply because his numbers are so bad....

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Oh, here are a couple of numbers I obtained with Photoshop 7.0.1:

Dell Dimension (Single P4 2.26GHz): 5.5s
Dell Precision (Dual P3 733MHz): 12.9s

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts