Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I am currently researching for a reliable and future proof home automation system, hopefully to build it based on using a mac mini as the server. I have read a lot about the older X10 technology... Since it has been out for almost 10 years now... although the selection for supported devices are great, however the system it self is proofed to be outdated.
Anyone here tried either the Insteon or Zwave system?
Please advise if there are other system out there?
Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Hi there,
I am currently researching for a reliable and future proof home automation system, hopefully to build it based on using a mac mini as the server. I have read a lot about the older X10 technology... Since it has been out for almost 10 years now... although the selection for supported devices are great, however the system it self is proofed to be outdated.
Anyone here tried either the Insteon or Zwave system?
Please advise if there are other system out there?
Thanks!!!
I don't have direct experience yet but I am planning on Insteon devices in my next home (which is currently in the planning stage).

Check out the Indigo Touch app for the iPhone/iPod Touch...

iTunes Store

Macintosh Home Automation and Control Server

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me... it makes so much sense to start planning for your home automation system during the construction stage, especially if you need to run wires around your house.
I have had experience with running wires through the house. You don't really need to worry about the interior walls, as they are hollow with either metal or wood studs. Just pay more attention to any wire which will be running behind the exterior wall. you may want to install a conduit prior to the interior drywall being built.

I have read a lot of info about INSTEON, however not much info or report from a user/installer stand point.

Good Luck to both of us!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.