Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. It's been a few years since I set up a Bootcamp machine. I need to run a Windows program and I though I might repurpose an old MacBook Pro. I don't need it for anything else but this windows only bike training software.

If I insert a Windows 7 or 10 CD and reboot, will the windows installer recognise the processor and do a plain vanilla Windows install? Or do I need to partition the hard drive with Bootcamp first?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I run Bootcamp and Windows 7 on an older white MacBook so I can run an ECU tuning program for my toy car. It runs with no problems. I have the default set to boot into Windows.

When I set it up I ran BootCamp to make the Windows partition and then installed Windows and then the ECU software.

I tried Parallels but could not resolve the conflict with the direct connect ethernet cable. Something between the MacBook, Windows 7, Parallels and the ECU software would not allow it to communicate.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is a physical Windows disc required? I'm wondering if I can download a Windows 10 upgrade and install in my Bootcamp partition. I wonder if the upgrade looks for an existing windows install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts