Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I am use to insatlling all my fonts for Photoshop/illustrator
in os 9 and then rebooting back into OS 10 to work.

Where do you add the fonts in os 10 Jaguar, so as to have
photoshop/illustrator can see them.

if this is a DUMB question then please ignore, as I have just recently upgraded to jaguar 10.2.6 from OS 10.1.5..

Thanks in advance

Deadline...Mike

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Not a dumb question, fonts in OS X are really confusing.

First of all, there are two Fonts folders. Both of them are called "Fonts." Where you install a particular font depends on whether you want it to be available to everyone who uses the computer, that is, all user accounts, or whether you want to keep it to yourself.

The main Fonts folder is located in the Library folder at the root of the OS X boot partition. To install a font there, just drag it to the folder. If it's a PostScript font, drag both components there.

The other Fonts folder is located in the Library folder at the root of your User account. Same instructions. Any fonts you put there are private - no other user can see them.

Incidentally, one font feature that I find extremely useful - OS X can use Windows TrueType fonts without any conversion. Even OpenType. If you have a PC with Windows 2000 or XP, you can copy all the cool fonts to your Mac, although Bill Gates might not like it.

Cheers :-> Bill

[ July 14, 2003, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Gerbill ]

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill

Much appreciated

The ehMac community is a great place to be, I am glad that
I am back again!

Thanks again

Deadline...Mike

·
Registered
234 Posts
Another dumb question:

Is there any basic font management utility that I am failing to find in Jaguar or is it the in-the-folder out-the-folder syle activation aking to the Fonts system folder in OS9?

I was going to install Suitcase anyways, but wouldn't mind knowing if there are other ways to manage.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Mea Culpa (Latin for "I screwed up!") OS X does NOT support Windows PostScript fonts.

(NOTE: edited the original post for accuracy July 14) .

OS X supports the following font formats:

OpenType (both Mac and Windows formats)
PostScript Type 1 (Mac only)
PostScript Multiple Master (Mac only)
TrueType (both Mac and Windows formats)
dFont (data fork TrueType) (Mac only)

If you're stuck with a big collection of Windows PostScript fonts and want to move to Mac OS X, don't despair, though. There are several utilities available that convert them, both commercial and shareware.

Cheers :-> Bill

[ July 14, 2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Gerbill ]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts