Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed Panther on my Quicksilver. Wow, pretty zippy. The speed improvement is definitely noticeable. It doesn't seem to have broken anything yet. Well, USB Overdrive yakked but they have an updated version. Grabbed it and all is well again.

Overall, I'm impressed. Apple did a good job. Will install in on the Pismo later in the week. I know some people have had problems installing on a Pismo but I hope things go well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is the speed improvement only noticeable on the older models?

Using my 17inch before and now with Panther, I don't notice any significant performance increase...

Is there a particualr program or application that you see noticeable difference?

·
Premium Member
30,995 Posts
You are the second person with a 17" to observe the same thing yet other models of Macs show a big increase. :confused:

Screen speed is where it should show up. Wonder if there is a driver issue as there has been on some nVidia cards.
Take a look and see what chip is in the 17" video.

Have you run Onyx or anything similar lately to get the full benefit of the upgrade.

That still should not affect the screen draw speed up. Weird. :cool:

·
Registered
107 Posts
MacDoc,

I have no idea what you just said there! I have to run what? How do I do that?

Let me know and I will report back right away..

THANKS

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
I run a G4/450. I have noticed significant improvements in speed with Panther

Check out some tests I did!

In Xbench, higher numbers are better (I srewed up some bolding of better numbers, though)

Let 1k Windows Bloom: lower numbers better.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
For the record, the speed difference with Panther on my 12.1" Powerbook G4 was there, but not significant. On my eMac 700 Mhz it was amazing. Way faster!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts