Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
i am considering adding more RAM to my system.
Thinking of purchasing Ram from RAM CANADA. Cheaper?!
How easy (or hard ) it is to install it yourself?
I am not technically inclined?
Screwdriver? Then what?
Do I need to configure something afterwards?
Just curious.
Rich

2.1 GHZ Power PC G5 Processor
512MB of DdR2 SDRAM
250 GB

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Hey guys,
i am considering adding more RAM to my system.
Thinking of purchasing Ram from RAM CANADA. Cheaper?!
How easy (or hard ) it is to install it yourself?
I am not technically inclined?
Screwdriver? Then what?
Do I need to configure something afterwards?
Just curious.
Rich

2.1 GHZ Power PC G5 Processor
512MB of DdR2 SDRAM
250 GB
Adding RAM is an excellent idea.

If you're referring to CanadaRAM, they are highly recommended.

It's not very hard to install, but some precautions are necessary. If you don't feel confident, get a technically astute friend to do it for you.

It would really help if you were to fill in your physical location in Canada so it appears with every message - that way you might get a local volunteer helper.

It's a great idea to give details of your system, but the model of the Mac is a very important item - I assume that it's an iMac, but I'm just guessing.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
If your machine is an iMac G5 2.1 Ghz 'iSight' model, then there is a single memory slot accessible by a trap door on the bottom edge of the machine (under the 'chin'). you undo 2 Phillips screws and remove a piece of perforated metal to access the socket (they are captive screws, they don't undo all the way)

The RAM pushes straight into the socket. First make sure that the groove in the contact edge of the RAM is aligned correctly with the bar across the socket -- it only fits one way -- and then push the module in with both thumbs. It takes a moderate amount of pressure to seat it all the way into the socket. If the machine won't start, or beeps three times, that means you haven't pushed it in all the way.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts