Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the current and near-term status of Inkwell and a compatible voice recognition software program for the latest versions of OS X? I have been thinking of how these might be a godsend to the learning disabled student, but have heard little about these functions. Anyone in the know re either of these applications?

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I think that the voice recognition is essentially the same as it was in OS 9... or at least it hasn't really evolved beyond it. Come to think of it... does the OS X version even tell jokes? ;)

Inkwell, as far as I know, is essentially the same as using the stylus on a Palm pilot -- using specific short hand strokes to define various special characters, but I think it's a little more than that, maybe? It can understand printed writing... but not script. I'm no expert on it, but I don't think it would allow anyone to work faster than using a keyboard.

I've dabbled with both, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Inkwell will recognise plain handwriting and script just dandy, and there are also a lot of shorthand strokes for things like space, return, copy, cut, paste and other common functions.

So both!

--PB

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I just gave it a try with my Wacom Graphite, and it doesn't handle cursive script at all... and I know my writing isn't sloppy. ;)

I tried very easy three-letter words (like ace, are, sat, etc.) which usually result Ink thinking I wrote Mw. :confused:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I have been assessing some learning disabled students this summer, and the parents of one of these children are quite well-off, and technologically (in a Wintel environment) experienced. I was thinking of a PowerBook G4 12" for this girl, since I think it might have the power and motivational "cool" factor to get her writing and reading. Just a thought.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Actually I believe there is better voice recognition software than what the MacOS comes with. I've never really looked into it but I know IBM has this software for the Mac.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kosh, I seem to recall the ViaVoice won a MacWorld award for software a few years ago. I may not be correct, but I have heard of this product. I have always utilized Dragon Naturally Speaking on my Wintel boxes at the university.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts