Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking through the flyers I recieved yesterday and in Future Shop's flyer, is a NetGear 802.11g 4 port Wireless router for $170. This is cheaper then the Airport Extreme base station from Apple. What I'm wondering is whether or not this is a great deal, I've heard (from this site) that NetGear is Mac friendly and very well done.

As for University in September I'm planning on purchasing a laptop (either the new 15" AlBook, which will come out eventually or hopefully an iBook that can do Airport Extreme if Apple upgrades the notebooks) and wish to set up a wireless network. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I just read this piece on this actually. I have a NetGear @ work to run in a 'b' setting, but when it comes to the wireless 'g', you may want to read this post that I came across. Not trying to do anything in 'g' yet. 'b' does me fine for now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have a NetGear MR314 wireless, which is two models back from current. Works fine in every way with my Mac. Their helpline people aren't fluent with Mac, but they were conversant enough to help me with the one setup problem I had.

·
Premium Member
1,794 Posts
I think your best options for wireless right now are with the 'b' versions. The prices on the b versions have dropped dramatically and there should be no problem finding a full wireless router for under $100.

Most people are using wireless for internet use on laptops. The 'b' versions are fast enough for high speed dsl or cable. It won't work any faster if you get a 'g'. The only potential advantage of 'g' versions would be for file transfers between computers. I doubt this would be needed except under rare circumstances. It would be slower with 'b' but it would still work fine.

There are too many compatibility issues with 'g' that make it a poor choice right now. Go with a 'b' now and enjoy the freedom and the low price.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All right, thanks for your help, I think I'll wait a few more weeks and then reconsider this plan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts