Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Are some of the words in Swedish?

Do you sometimes need to check words in Swedish? If not, you could use an app like Monolingual to uninstall it. Of course, InDesign might switch to Norwegian if you try.

Which version of InDesign are you running?

G

·
Are there any non-standard characters that were pasted into a layout? I've seen it do this once before when it found a character it thought was not english (accented).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
more info

InDesign CS2 is the software that the annual report is laid out in. The language is english - no other language is in file. It is consistent as it switches to swedish on teh word Worthy. Have attempted to start spell check on next page and it immediatley changes to Swedish dictionary.

G

·
Only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is to use something like textwrangler to clean the text. This ensures nohing but ascii text is there which may be the problem. There may be other ways to filter it but I use this one all the time using textwrangler (free from http://barebones.com if you don't have it already)

Paste your copied text from the doc into a new file in Textwrangler and make sure it's all selected, then from the Text menu select Zap Gremlins .. the default should be to strip all non-ascii, control chars and NULL, and to delete them. Then try copying and pasting that cleaned text back into indesign.

HTH

·
Registered
1 Posts
Little late, but the best Answer

It is very simple once you know where the setting is.

It is in the character panel at the bottom. It says language.
Every text box can have independent language settings.

Often I get an error where for some reason a text fram losses the English as it's default. When it does it always reverts to Swedish if nothing is defined.

Just pick English USA or what ever dictionary you need.

It usually only happens on certain text boxes. Your general document settings should automatically add the english selction to your text frames. :cool:

The language setting does over ride the document Default. This is similar to CSS Hierarchy.

It is handy if you need to add, let's say, french accent marks.

See link below for more details:
InDesignSecrets Blog Archive Let InDesign Add the Diacritics

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.