Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere before that although the Rage 128 can't take advantage of Q. Extreme in OS X 10.2, video cards with 16 MB of VRAM or more help speed up OS X. Is this true? Right now, I have OSX running on 6 MB of motherboard VRAM on my Beige G3. This VRAM doesn't support OpenGL, etc. It just pratically drives the monitor. So, if I replaced my video with a PCI Rage 128 16 MB, would there be any speed increase under Mac OS X? I know that now there would be OpenGL support under OS X as Rage 128 supports it under OS X. (not sure if that would make any difference whatsoever.)

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
rage 128 is much faster than what you haveand give ok peformance in 10.2.
Why dont you try to find a pci Radeon card, that would be best for a beige G3

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnes:
rage 128 is much faster than what you haveand give ok peformance in 10.2.
Why dont you try to find a pci Radeon card, that would be best for a beige G3
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're saying that OS X 10.2.3 would perform faster with the Rage 128 than the 6 MB VRAM. (Remember: I'm talking in the Finder performance, not games; it's obviously faster in games.)

I would get a Radeon PCI, but I'm not in the mood to spend $200 on one.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I believe by default that Quartz Extreme is not supported by PCI cards, it requires an AGP card. I believe there is a hack to enable QE on PCI cards, but I don't know how well it works.

A PCI Radeon will speed up 3D games though.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I believe by default that Quartz Extreme is not supported by PCI cards, it requires an AGP card. I believe there is a hack to enable QE on PCI cards, but I don't know how well it works.

A PCI Radeon will speed up 3D games though.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
QE can only be enabled on PCI Radeon cards that also have AGP versions. PCI Radeon 7000 and newer are going to be your best bet.

You might notice a speedup if you picked up a Rage128 16MB, but I wouldn;t count on too much of a bump.

--PB

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PosterBoy:
QE can only be enabled on PCI Radeon cards that also have AGP versions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nevermind what I said. Sorry, I was wrong. ;) I thought you mean't only AGP-equipped Macs could run QE on a secondary PCI Radeon.... :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts