Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Newbie here.
I was playing around with my files and I think i have deleted something that's called System Profiler.
I cannot find it anywhere anymore.
As well, when I click on the apple symbol and select ABOUT THIS MAC, i am unable to select MORE INFO.
How do I retrieve this file?
Hope someone can help.
Thanks !!

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
To get System Profiler back;

The hard way is to reinstall OS X.
The easier way is to use a program called Pacifist to retrieve it from the OS X Install CD. You'll have to dig through a couple packages - I'm not sure off the top of my head where it will be but it should be in something called Mac OS X Essentials IIRC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THANKS CHEALION- for taking the time to explain.
I ended up reinstalling the OS X.
I was able to retrieve SYSTEM PROFILER.
One other question.....since you seem to be an 'expert'.....? :)
Now that I have something under PREVIOUS SYSTEM- if I deleted that, would it have any effect on any of my current software?

Thanks again,
Richierich

·
Registered
278 Posts
One other question.....since you seem to be an 'expert'.....? :)
Now that I have something under PREVIOUS SYSTEM- if I deleted that, would it have any effect on any of my current software?
You did an Archive & Install of your new system. The old system is in the 'Previous System' folder. Dig in there and get all your stuff from the previous set up - applications, your old user account...

Once you have retrieved everything you want from it, you can delete it.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Maziron
That is incorrect information- - please if you are not SURE you know what you are talking about don't offer advice.

••••

Rich

ALL of User accounts and applications, email, music etc will have been moved from the old OS to the new OS
There are only a couple of items like Steermouse and other embedded items that may not move.

Just check your system preferences to see if there is anything missing - you can always reinstall those.
No harm to leave the old system there for a few days but you can safely trash it as long as you did an Archive and Install in a standard manner.

Trying to "dig" into a system folder is a recipe for disaster.
You ARE of course backed up...right ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks MACDOC

Thanks for your help.
Backed up?
What exactly is that?
Is it storing all important info on a flash drive?
If it is, I will probably do that soon.
i dont really have anything vital to save except for a few emails /contacts/pictures and iTunes Library.
Thanks to all who helped on this.
I wish I had you as my permanent Apple Care:lmao:

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Hey Richierich

Don't get MacDoc started on backing up... you could be here for a long time :D

He's right of course. The important thing is to decide what's important and what's not. My strategy is that I make occasional backups of enormous files to external hard drives (e.g. itunes library, photo library...). I don't backup to a full bootable drive as I seem to change computers much faster than my hard drives crash... ;)

For important data, I backup in real time using iDisk. Best money I've ever spent...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts