Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Random thoughts:

--I can't leave the house without this thing. Just like so many other Apple products, you're hooked in no time. I go bananas driving in downtown Toronto stopping at every stoplight for two wasted minutes. Now I play for those two minutes, jumping on people's wifi connections and checking mail (woo hoo).

--I spend less time at the computer. This thing really is a portable life management and pleasure system. Taking a crap, the most sacred of life's pleasures, is now spent browsing forums. If they only knew. LOL.

--The icons, the navigation, is all smooth as silk. No lags (on wifi of course) in the UI, gorgeous fonts, the whole look is amazing.

--Battery life is okay, not great, and I'm not even making calls. BUT I am searching for wifi hotspots most of the day, and that's intensive on the battery.

--Prepare for every person in the world to ask you about the thing. If you're a nerd and can't talk to girls, buy one of these. Everyone in the world knows about them and wants one. I've made lots of new friends ("What up Vanessa?")

--Shock time: the battery takes 4 hours to charge!! CRAZY! In this day and age, four hours??? My battery has still not fully charged (supposed to glow) and there are brown marks which appear on the back, apparently a well known problem.

--Mail is cool, but limited. All of my accounts from Mail synced up in seconds, which I LOVE. I've spent so much time configuring frickin email accounts across machines that this was well appreciated. Having said that, mail options are limited and shortcuts minimal. Still, for someone who hasn't had a real portable web device with full mail functions, it's absolutely awesome. They'd better fix some of the issues in updates though.

--Wifi is awesome, though a few issues. It doesn't always recognize known networks--maybe 50% of the time it does. You find yourself logging in and out of wifi connections a lot. But hey, what do you expect for free? (Wait a sec, the phone cost me $600! LOL) Other than that, it just plain works. Haven't had a single dropped wifi connection that doesn't have to do with range.

--iPod: No manual management of songs is RIDICULOUS. Yes, there are workarounds, but didn't Steve learn his lesson about limiting us? People are pissed, and I'm one of them.

--Which brings me to the final comment. I love this thing. LOVE IT. Life changing device AGAIN, just like with the ipod, then the video ipod (my portable commercial-free network on the road, along with my expensive output cable). But this is a very closed system, and unlike the past where Apple exerted the power, I believe it won't be so with this. There is waaaay too much pent up energy over this device to allow Apple to dictate the terms. Just you watch:The tail will wag the dog.

The irony is that Steve created the appetite and I strongly believe that appetite will now exert its will on the future of the iphone. This is in many respects a new world device with old world restrictions. Best of luck keeping people from hacking, cracking and reorienting this thing. Can't wait for Cory Doctorow to start pushing Steve to open this thing up. :)

If Apple does not listen to its users, who paid mightily for this pricey toy, they'll lose control of the thing and more importantly will alienate people like me. I didn't pay $600 to have them lock me out of the phone on the next update. Listen to the sound of 1,000,000 Canadian or Australian or British hacked iphone owners saying "They'd better not!"

Ultimately, the power of the mob is greater than Steve Jobs. The music business didn't believe that, the movie business didn't believe it. Let AT&T be the big loser, Just not me. If Skype is blocked from the device, and it gets stuck with third party workarounds, I'll be pissed. Voip is the future and god help the idiot who tells me I can't do it on my $600 phone.

Finally, screw Rogers. Once the iphone is unlocked (tick tick tick), I'll pop it on to my cityfido plan and use the data only through wifi. And they'll be a zillion people just like me.

Thanks Steve. You've done it again. Just make sure not to take me for granted when the updates roll and the hackers hack. :baby:

Interesting links:

http://www.freetheiphone.org/
http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,134397-c,iphone/article.html
http://www.everythingiphone.com/forum/
http://www.seeqpod.com/ (streaming music to your phone--very cool)
http://code.google.com/p/telekinesis/ (it works and it's CRAZY cool)
http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/06/24/business/wireless25.php

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Thank goodness you're in the minority or Apple might as well stop spending millions on R&D. I'm so disgusted I sincerely hope Apple finds a way to render your phones useless.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Great little mini review! One question:

--iPod: No manual management of songs is RIDICULOUS. Yes, there are workarounds, but didn't Steve learn his lesson about limiting us? People are pissed, and I'm one of them.
What do you mean? You can't pick which songs in your Library go on the iPhone? Or ... what?

EDIT: Just did some Google research -- heh -- and found out that you can't pick songs, you have to create playlists and sync those playlists. That is pretty lame. No drag and drop. Wow.

I can't believe this is the first time I've heard about this -- the lack of drag and drop is, in my mind, almost a deal-killer (especially in Canada, where right now any iPhone is not a phone, but a glorified iPod). The ease of use of songs on the iPod is what makes the iPod so great. Wow.

Here's the story I found, for others:

Apple emasculates the iPhone | The Register

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank goodness you're in the minority or Apple might as well stop spending millions on R&D. I'm so disgusted I sincerely hope Apple finds a way to render your phones useless.
Yea, I guess the $600 I spent on the phone barely covers meals in the cafeteria in Cupertino.

What exactly are you disgusted by? Consumers wanting choice? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree with most of what imachungry said....I too have an iPhone that I've been using for a few days now....I blogged about it at length last night at 3am ;)

johnbiehler.com » Blog Archive » The one about the iPhone

I had to cut myself off as I was expecting the sun to come up before I even got to through all the things I wanted to blab about.

It's definitely a 'game-changing' device.

The reality is that despite what some people think in this thread, people outside the US will get and use iPhones....the Apple feeding frenzy is in full tilt with a device like this. Those that doubt it haven't touched or used one.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Essentially correct that there is no manual mode. Ditto for the Apple TV as well.

The reality is that Apple has changed their sync methodology with the iPhone and Apple TV. iTunes doesn't just update a database on an external hard drive any more, but rather uses some other type of sync protocol with the device, and the OS on the device itself takes care of writing these changes to the database. Hence no "Disk Mode" either at this point.

This new sync method is obviously much better-suited to allowing for cleaner interrupted synchronization, such as would be necessary when a phone call comes in while syncing. With current generation iPods, yanking it out of the cradle in the middle of a sync can be disastrous in many cases.

Of course, this new sync methodology doesn't automatically exclude the ability to put content onto an iPhone manually, but it does mean that they would have to redevelop this capability into the new sync protocols.

Whether it was Apple's intention to forever exclude manual management, or whether they just haven't had time to write it into the new protocol is anybody's guess, but there are rumours that it's coming in a future firmware update, so we'll have to wait and see.

In the meantime, the reality is that managing a separate playlist and syncing only the content of that playlist isn't really that much of an inconvenience, and actually has some advantages to using a purely manual mode. The only reason you really require manual sync is if you either use your iPhone on more than one computer or you don't keep your content on your computer after you've stored it on the iPhone.

(As an aside, I concur with most of the OP's impressions, although I can't muster up quite as much enthusiasm for many of the lifestyle changing aspects, having already been a smartphone user for about six years now :) Of course, the real magic in the iPhone was never about what it can do, but rather about how it does it, and that is the really exciting part... I just wish it could do more.... )

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I hate to sound like an a$$, but I can't wait for winter to roll around. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. "Touch" devices were clearly not created by people living in eastern Canada. Go to Ottawa and use your fancy new iPhone. I dare you to take your gloves off in -35 deg weather. Hell, there's no way I'd use an iPhone in Toronto, and it's considerably warmer than Ottawa.

Good luck folks.

A7

·
Registered
788 Posts
I hate to sound like an a$$, but I can't wait for winter to roll around. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. "Touch" devices were clearly not created by people living in eastern Canada. Go to Ottawa and use your fancy new iPhone. I dare you to take your gloves off in -35 deg weather. Hell, there's no way I'd use an iPhone in Toronto, and it's considerably warmer than Ottawa.

Good luck folks.

A7
Good Luck? Do you even own a cell phone?

In the winter time I am hard pressed to see any BlackBerry users out there typing away at -35C temps a message or E-mail. Actually I have seen them at bus stops doing that, but there are a few that don't care I guess. But for the majority you barely see that, they usually wait until they are inside. If you needed to, there are hand gloves with open fingers that can keep your hands warm and you could still use your iPhone ;).

The iPhone is designed to answer without even touching it. So it could be in your pocket and there is no need to take it out. There are headphones, or a bluetooth headset that can be used. Plus just like every other touch device or handset out there, people are not stupid enough to be typing or surfing on their cell phones when it is -35C outside.

Apple did think about this as they do have several states in the U.S.A. that do have winter conditions like we do and with the temperatures. So I am not sure what your complaint is.

·
Premium Member
42,902 Posts
I've seen one of these in action--not been allowed to touch it. It's everything its claimed to be and more.

·
Registered
513 Posts
The iPhone purchased in the US is still locked to AT&T so if/when Roger's does offer an iPhone, the Roger's SIM it won't 'just work' in the AT&T iPhones....an unlock is still needed on it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Interesting. clearly I don't know anything about phones. But I just assumed that as long as you have the special rogers/iphone sim card installed.... the phone will work on the rogers network.

The phone itself being exactly the same — the only difference being the sim card.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I guess it will remain to be seen if the phone is exactly the same when it's released in other countries...I would think there may be contract or regulatory issues that could alter what another country would get on their iPhones.

For example, Roger's may opt to not offer visual voicemail so the internal software would be slightly different. Not that it would not work with an AT&T phone, just an example.

Like most things about the iPhone, there is a whole lot of speculation and rumour and not whole lot of 'truthiness' (to steal from Steven Colbert) out there.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
The iPhone is designed to answer without even touching it.
You are right... I did underestimate the earphones. BUT that means you HAVE to have the earphones in at all times, which is not always the case. So are you saying that having a bluetooth device or the earphones in are a requirement of carrying the iPhone in the winter? And what about making a call? Does the earphone button do that too?

Believe me, on any phone I own, I make sure there's an easy way to answer it with gloves on. And I can easily call anyone in my address book with my gloves on too.

Plus just like every other touch device or handset out there, people are not stupid enough to be typing or surfing on their cell phones when it is -35C outside.
No... I certainly hope not. But are you telling me that people aren't stupid enough to use an iPod in -35? How do you skip tracks on the iPhone? I can click my iPod with my gloves on if I want to skip track, go back, or pause. Even from my pocket!

No matter how you try to spin it, touch devices are not fun in winter. There's a reason they released it in the summer. And I'm happy for you, and applaud your enthusiasm, but the simple fact is the iPhone will suck in the winter. You can mark my words... once winter hits, watch the number of posts that come up on here complaining about the iPhone.

A7

·
Registered
368 Posts
Interesting. clearly I don't know anything about phones. But I just assumed that as long as you have the special rogers/iphone sim card installed.... the phone will work on the rogers network.

The phone itself being exactly the same — the only difference being the sim card.
Based on the way that different phones work on different carriers today, it's very unlikely that an AT&T iPhone will ever work on Rogers (without actually being unlocked, of course).

Conversely, chances are good that a Rogers iPhone (when they offer one) won't work with an AT&T SIM card either.

The issue is not any magic in the SIM card itself, per se, but rather the phone itself being locked to only accept a SIM card from a given carrier. AT&T SIM cards from other phones will work in the iPhone, for example, as long as it's a fairly recent-model phone, and as long as the activation has otherwise been completed via iTunes. However, the iPhone will patently refuse to accept a SIM card from any other carrier.

This is exactly the same way cell phones work with different carriers today. To be fair, current phones are subsidized by the carriers, thus giving them an incentive to behave this way (ie, Rogers isn't going to subsidize a phone that you're not going to use on their network). However, the fact that there's still a vested interest in locking you into a longer-term contract would speak to the fact that they have no desire to sell you a phone and then let you use it elsewhere.

Of course, the iPhone is a game-changing device, and Apple has a lot more influence on it, so anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet the farm on the AT&T iPhone models ever being usable in Canada unless somebody figures out how to actually unlock them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The iPhone purchased in the US is still locked to AT&T so if/when Roger's does offer an iPhone, the Roger's SIM it won't 'just work' in the AT&T iPhones....an unlock is still needed on it.
Which is inevitable. At worst, I will sell the phone back into the US market, or use it the way I am now, which is a great device perhaps equipped soon with Voip.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Couldn't agree more....so far the wifi functions along with the touch video ipod make it worth the money for me....the fact that it might be a phone soon makes it that much more useful. Plus the developer community is exploding for the iPhone so it's only going to get more useful.

I'm not even sure I'd sell it if the phone unlock doesn't come through (and Roger's drops the ball and doesn't offer it in Canada). That was my 'plan b' before having it for a week now....

·
Registered
215 Posts
Couldn't hold off any longer. Just picked up an 8gig model off ebay for $570 including shipping. Not bad if I say so myself. Phone should be here by friday. Now they just need to figure out a way to unlock the phone.

I'll post impressions once I receive it!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.