Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When scanning or importing an image, is it better to take it in through Photoshop or let iPhoto import it as a Preview file? In other words, are Photoshop files of higher quality than Preview, or does it not matter? I know that in Photoshop, you can save the image in the highest quality (12), but with Preview, I wonder if it lessens the quality when importing.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
As far as I know, iPhoto imports (copies) whatever native format it was created in.

It's my understanding that Image Capture and iPhoto use identical means to import images.

To use Image Capture, launch it and import photos or scan (IC uses the TWAIN plugin for your scanner).

Where you run into problems is in the Save or Save As command. So, if you plan to resize/rework an image, first do a Save As in a non-compression format such as TIFF (all Mac programs) or PSD (PhotoShop), and use that file as your master image in iPhoto or whatever (you probably should delete the original if it came as a JPEG, to avoid confusion.).

Then, this reference image can be converted, once, to JPEG at final output, while the original image is still available at maximum quality. If you re-use an image for different tasks (and therefore different compression values) start with the TIFF/PSD original each time.

PhotoShop allows you to choose between Windows and Macintosh byte order when saving TIFF images. You can choose either, PS has no problems opening the Windows byte order files on your Mac.

Even at best quality ( the 12 setting in PhotoShop), saving a JPEG will compress the image (and degrade utilmate image quality) with each save.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts