Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you import Avatars to use here? Anyone know of a good web site that has a supply good ones?

I found one on another site and downloaded it to my desktop and pointed the profile updater to it but I think I need a specific web site, not a file on my desktop. Am I right? It's not a big deal but I'm curious as to how the system works.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just searched "avatars" using Google and found quite a few.

The window that opens to choose your avatar has the Custom URL box. Just enter the URL in there and set it. I had no idea what I was doing when I decided I was going to find my own picture, but I played around and surprisingly it worked the first time I tried it.

I hope this helps. Maybe someone with a little more knowledge could explain it better than I can.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob777, are you saying that the URL does not have to be from your "own" web site but can be from anywhere?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sure, it can be, but thats called leaching and is frowned upon as it is stealing bandwidth from the host. But, as long as they don't say that you can't...

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
The URL for the avatar can be any URL, although it's considered poor form to link to an image on a site that's not yours since it eats up bandwidth.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was not aware that this may cause a problem. I will stop doing it and use the avatars provided by ehMac.

Sorry.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
If you have an avatar that you like and you're allowed to use, email it to me and I'll add it to the collection.

Can anyone find, (Or better yet make) some really cool Mac related ones and Canada related ones?

Your mission ehMac members, should you choose to accept!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks for the link dolawren, nice site easy to do. I'd like to know where Heart got the flag...woldn't mind seeing a Saskatchewan flag somewhere to use.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hey, what happened to the quoting option for messges?

Anyway, if we are going to have custom avatars, could somone make me one of our current PM hanging from the gallows?

Or one of Paul Martin, with his hand out accepting corporate graft?

many thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
OK, I'm updating my profile, but it does not want to remember my custom URL.

That's EVIL. :eek:

G/<

·
Registered
590 Posts
Heart,
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction but how do I get the image to an avatar (can't get a URL for the image)?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Grzegorz,

After you import the custom URL, you have to be sure to hit the "Update Profile" button, too. I forgot to do that the first time I tried to import an avatar, and needless to say it didn't work.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Well I just took my favorite picture, shrunk it and then posted the tiny image on a site primarily used to store eBay images.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts