Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well. I downloaded iMovie 3 for our school lab of iMac 500MHZ DV machines and all I have to say is that I am very disappointed. Why?

1. Like the interface in 2 better than 3. the buttons and controllers in 3 look very cheesy and poorly designed. My brother who works for Digital Extremes says that you need to create buttons that people want to push. 3 is plain awful
2. Hardware requirements. 3 is a dog on our 500MHZ machines. iMovie 2.0 was MUCH faster
3. Even with the update, 3 is still slow. 700MHZ hardware req? (hum....I guess we're still on issue #2).
4. Rendering time seems a lot slower than in iMovie 2.
5. I can most of the features in 3 through free plugins.

So, that being said, I am going back to 2.0.

Thots?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've used iMovie 2 quite a bit and feel I have a pretty good handle on it... that being said, I'm not really too anxious to try a 'real' project in vers. 3 yet, although I think I like the floating palette better than the old. However, I'm very anxious to try ther new chapter abilities that tie in with the bnew iDVD. Any experience with that yet?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
wow.. that is good to know. This is what I need to remember when I start to mess around. Which reminds me. Not sure why I haven't played with it yet. You can make iMovies from stills, no?

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CubaMark:
...somehow, the entire project file vanished. She says all she did was Quit the program and shut down.. but I can't find hide nor hair of the project file or the media files.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The project which you started should be in the User's - Movies folder, but sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one. Perhaps she started (opened) a project, did all her editing and when she finished, she quit iMovie - without saving her work. It happened to me. I made the best 30 minute short of my life and quit without saving, of course all was lost. :(

That said, iMovie 3 is dead dog simple to use and I find it to be a very elegant piece o'software.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
I'm trying to teach a friend (senior) to use iMovie for her projects (nature films). After jumping the hurdle of having an analogue-only Hi8 camera (we borrowed a Sony TRV-something to use as a passthrough to firewire), I sat her down and showed her how to trim the clips that she'd captured.

Darned if I know how it's happening, but entire clips are vanishing... we blink, they're gone. It's all quite surreal.

And two days ago, somehow, the entire project file vanished. She says all she did was Quit the program and shut down.. but I can't find hide nor hair of the project file or the media files.

Is there some magical spot that iMovie keeps the media files? (I'm an AVID user, used to having my media files easy to find).

Anyway.. learning experience. We've applied the update, and will try to do more digitizing on the weekend. But it's damned frustrating so far... (not that I'm laying the blame squarely on iMovie, I'm sure the user has something to do with it
)

M

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I'm not sure that it's a user problem. I've heard complaints about iMovie from fairly savvy users, so maybe iMovie isn't perfect after all.

Of course, not owning a DV camera means I've never tried to do anything useful with iMovie, so I've no personal experience with it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I suspect your problem my be a result of fragmented disk and such. I've made lots of iMovies and subsequent iDVD's. I would always recommend a clean dedicated partition for your iMovie project and associated Quicktime exports. You kinda need tto apply the same good work ethic (housekeeping) as your Avid and other pre-iMovie digital video scenarios.
This may be a lot to ask of your friend, depending on available space etc. but I find these things usually sort themselves out logically and with big doses of common sense. I also found extremely helpful the apple forums on iMovie where you can get virtually any question answered by way better experts than me. Go to Apple.com and look for iMovie forum..

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
The project did exist :rolleyes: ... I created it! And it had been opened and closed a few times over a couple of days before she was left alone with it.

It also just occurred to check the HD freespace, and yes - the files are gone (we're back up to 52 gigs free from 35 gigs free when I last saw the project).

Two thoughts:

1/ it shouldn't be that easy to delete an entire project. Newbie protection device not installed!

2/ coming from an AVID background, I'm used to the system saving the project every 15 minutes for me automatically. We also had automatic project document backup. Guess I shouldn't expect that level of protection in a consumer-level product, eh?

M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts