Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quote from a user on "XLR8yourmac.com"...

"But the new iMovie 08 is absolutely horrible. The timeline is gone. Multiple audio tracks are gone. Video FX are gone. Subtle editing of titles is gone. Themes are gone.
iMovie 08 is like "Mac Movie Maker 1.0". It has to be one of the worst "upgrades" I have seen come out of Apple in 20 years."

More comments on MacInTouch...

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/ilife08/index.html

:yikes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
If true, this doesn't surprise me. After all, the last version of iMovie was probably as good as Apple was going to get for an iLife app.

So, how do you convince people to "upgrade?" Start from scratch with new iMovie app and then start rebuilding the feature sets in subsequent version release.

Maybe this will also push people towards FCE.

On the other hand, it could just be the reviewers not knowing how to do things in the new version that they use to do in the previous version since it is a whole new workflow. Kind of like MS with Office 2007 vs. 2003.

·
Premium Member
1,374 Posts
I was disappointed to see that my iBook, the last gen before Intel, already fails to meet the minimum requirements for the new iMovie.

I knew it was coming I just didn't think it would be in iLife 08.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Scary....

If true, this doesn't surprise me. After all, the last version of iMovie was probably as good as Apple was going to get for an iLife app.

So, how do you convince people to "upgrade?" Start from scratch with new iMovie app and then start rebuilding the feature sets in subsequent version release.

Maybe this will also push people towards FCE.

On the other hand, it could just be the reviewers not knowing how to do things in the new version that they use to do in the previous version since it is a whole new workflow. Kind of like MS with Office 2007 vs. 2003.
Maybe I should buy a refurb...that way I'm getting the old apps in the incarnation that I haven't had a chance to try out on my old mac anyway....

This is very scary...will the new iMacs come with iLife 06 as well...dumb question...I know!

Cheers,
davidslegend:yikes:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Well, I just watched the iMovie '08 demos on Apple's site, and I have to say that it does look like a big step backwards. It doesn't keep your titles, music or transitions when you 'import' a project that you started on in iMovie HD. You have to rebuild your project!?! WTF This is insane. It also looks like you can lay an audio clip against the video, and set one level for it. No more fading it up or down to match the action, or other audio clips?

I'll have a look at it in the stores, but I'm thinking that it's a big flop. Too bad, I'm not used to this type of bad product from Apple.

Z.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Hard to say..
I've got it installed, and I'm not sure what I think yet.

Really seems confusing. ... I think the idea is really its a lot less movie making....its more simple drag and drop movie making...The dock icon is now a star too

But yeah, the timeline is pretty much gone, you just drag clips, trim.

Video adjustments to levels in real time is cool..

I like the live previews when scrolling over clips in real time.... and trimming... very intuitive but the timeline would be nice

Things seem to be happening faster in imovie than I've ever seen, but I again have to agree... losing the timeline, audio tweaking ability and what not.. has to be the biggest mistake ever...

Clearly the idea here is to move people to FCP Express....They were cutting it close with the last imovie, it was almost a good or more fun to use than FCE Express. So I'd agree, this is a big step backwards.

·
CIO of CYA
3,857 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,999 Posts
Verrrry interesting.... either Apple is listening and reacting with a speed which is not historically characteristic, or they knew before the launch that the new iMovie was not going to go over well with a lot of people...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well, i am up for a replacement computer again from apple. This will be the 2nd in a two week period. I held off for ilife 08...but with all the issues I keep hearing in imovie and iweb, i'm beginning to think I should have gotten the replacement when ilife 06 was still kicking. Oh well....tomorrow (today) I will see what all the fus is all about.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I used it tonight to edit a 30-second HD video. Unlike iMovie 6, this version is an absolute joy to use. Very fast, scrubbing was a pleasure to use and laying down edits and using the color corrector was in real-time.

For a 1.0 release, it is amazingly stable. Not as feature-rich as the previous version, but this version's foundation is extremely promising. There are features and ease-of-use UI improvements I would like to see moved to Apple's professional app, Final Cut Pro; that is how awesome I think some of iMovie's features are.

I have always found iMovie 6 to be lacking and difficult to use. iMovie 7 is a breakthrough app. Got up and running in under 5 minutes.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
spicyapple, that's encouraging, thanks for sharing that. Ease of use definitely is a big plus. It sounds like a good base for Apple to build from, adding more pro features over time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think it fits with Apple's growth. iMovie 06 was great - unless you come to it for the first time. The learning curve was a bit hectic and intimidating for simple home movies. As Jobs pointed out, the new version is closer to what a home user will do with their photos.

iMovie 08 is clearly not aimed at the more advanced user. The reviewers comments smack of being a little unprofessional: when reviewing it's important to keep the target market in mind. With this new app it seems likely more people will start playing with their movies, which is good for users and good for Apple.

For more advanced users there is iMovie 06 and FCE.

·
Registered
954 Posts
spicyapple, did you get it to work on your Powermac? Or did you already go the Intel route?

Many interesting opinions on Apple's discussion boards. It seems you can have both versions of iMovie. Someone wrote that iMovie HD was there along with iMovie 08. With all the recent postings, I am less concernred about the lastest version. Hopefully, Apple will post an update sooner than later to take users' opinions into account.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I, for one, am very happy to see all those gaudy transitions and effects go away. I'm sure many pro video folks feel the same way. Apple is forcing people into dropping the cheeze from their videos.

Lisa: OK, I finished editing the gardening sequence. . .
Homer: OK, from here we star wipe to a glamour shot of Flanders paying his bills, then we star wipe to Flanders brushing his teeth. . .
Lisa: Dad, there are other wipes besides star wipes. . .
Homer: Why eat hamburger when you can have steak?
Lisa: I'm taking my name off this thing.
A7

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I, for one, am very happy to see all those gaudy transitions and effects go away. I'm sure many pro video folks feel the same way. Apple is forcing people into dropping the cheeze from their videos.

A7
Agreed. One of my first iMovie attempts employed a variety of effects and transitions. Looking back, it was gawd awful! Experience proves less is more.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Verrrry interesting.... either Apple is listening and reacting with a speed which is not historically characteristic, or they knew before the launch that the new iMovie was not going to go over well with a lot of people...
Hi,

I think Apple's motivation for giving iMovie 06 over the internet was purely for ppl who have a G4, went out and bought iLife 08 and still needed a more up-to-date iMovie app - they maybe had iLife 05 on the computer.

Cheers!:lmao:

·
Registered
394 Posts
What I liked about iMovie HD is that it was a proper, simplified non-linear editing system. It wasn't difficult to pick up, and it functions quite similarly to the way big editing systems work. The non linear editing system I came from using quite a few years ago was the one I learned on, the video Toaster/Flyer combo on a...get ready for it...Amiga 2000. I've tinkered around a bit with Avid's system that runs on Windows but haven't had the time to borrow a system and pick up some experience with it.

I felt quite comfortable the first time I used iMovie, and I've always found it to be quite a capable piece of software - this has saved me the significant expense of having to buy Final Cut in order to edit my home movies to my own satisfaction. I'm not about to go and replace it with iPhoto for movies if doing that's going to cause me to need Final Cut.

·
Registered
144 Posts
spicyapple, did you get it to work on your Powermac? Or did you already go the Intel route?
It's working fine on my Power Mac Dual G5 (rev.2). It can get sluggish if you try working fast like I do, but it's actually quite fast considering my machine is 3 1/2 years old and I'm editing HDV video files. I really believe it's coded to fully take advantage of Intel processors so no doubt it'll fly on a Mac Pro or the new iMacs.

iMovie uses lots of Core Video effects, so a fast video card is necessary. My Radeon 9600 chokes a bit on fullscreen playback. Not complaining though.

The features of iMovie I like are:

1) Fast skimming and selecting of In/Out points. Final Cut Pro requires you to double-click on a clip to load it into the Viewer, set I/O points, and then drag or press a key to load it in the Canvas (not to mention setting the cursor to the right place in the Timeline and making sure your targets are selected.)

2) Video adjustment, cropping and audio levels HUD are wonderful. Makes adjusting clips easier and faster than the multi-tab interface of FCP.

3) Automatic thumbnail creation so skimming is fast. I wish to see this on FCP, as editing HDV and other large file size HD video requires a really fast disk system.

Things I didn't like about iMovie: (mostly lack of pro features)

1) No timecode, and no way to set the superwhite level of video clips.

2) Audio level adjustments are in percentages, rather than in decibels. (I'm so used to setting levels in dB that percentages is rather odd and non-intuitive)

3) No advanced audio track editing of video clips. eg, no J L cuts or audio dissolves.

4) Can't created graphic overlays of multiple tracks of video.

There are plenty of features lacking, but overall iMovie is a great, fun to use program for most amateur and hobbyists looking to create birthday, wedding and family videos.

Here's something I was working on:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts