Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just changed from Macbooks to IMacs and so far peripherals apparently have an allegiance to their old hardware. I'm kind of frustrated - I figured out how to get the HP printer to work now that it is hardwired - and no longer wi-fi. (We've gone back to the 70s with our new wifi - and internet too - where we have moved to.

But I can't figure out how to get the scanner to work. It will scan - but only on the photo setting - and insists on putting the scanned item into the 'pictures' file.

If I go for 'auto' - I get this error

Code:9,244,3

You do not have the required privileges to access the specified folder.
So I checked the codes and it tells me to change the folder settings - but no where can I find the settings that will take.

When I opt for Photo - which will actually scan - It won't allow me to set the destination - the scanned image just goes into the 'pictures' folder

Running Catalina 10.15.7 (Haven't decided if I want to go to Big Sur - pros? Cons?)

Any help would really be appreciated

Thank you

·
Premium Member
15,942 Posts
But I can't figure out how to get the scanner to work.
Have you tried using Image Capture.app???

It also sounds like you need to run Disk Utility and repair your permissions. You may have to do that using and booting up using your Recovery Mode.

You also have a choice of using Hamrick Software's VueScan.app. Excellent scanning software.

Have you searched the net for some of your other problems and questions, maybe using such a search as:

You didn't mention what MacBook or iMac models you are using or what you are using for your Wi-Fi setup. You may need to use older Wi-Fi and associated settings for them to be compatible with your older printer and scanner. Old equipment won't understand or work with a lot of the newer faster Wi-Fi speeds or privacy protocol settings. Your router its Wi-Fi may be upsetting things as well and you may need to check and/or change some of its settings.

Upgrading can be a real PITA pain as well as often expensive and you may need to ask yourself if you really need to, especially if you don't need or can't even use some new "feature" a newer Mac OS version might offer.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
42,782 Posts
You do not have the required privileges to access the specified folder.
So I checked the codes and it tells me to change the folder settings - but no where can I find the settings that will take.
This part may be as simple as selecting the destination folder and doing a "Get Info" report using the File menu. You can set permissions for the folder there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts