Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has a non-functioning iMac that is 7 years old. She brought it to Apple who, after testing, concluded that the HD had failed. However, Apple will not repair it (replace the HD) because the computer is obsolete. He suggested that the HD can be replaced at a non-Apple shop but did not give any suggestions.

Where in Ottawa or Gatineau can a reputable shop do the repair?

·
Premium Member
15,658 Posts
If you're at all handy and/or can follow directions properly, you could replace the drive yourself.

It's not the easiest, but those iMac's aren't sealed up like some of the later models.

Videos and instructions available at ifixit.com and OWC at macsales.com.

And, you might want to even consider replacing the original HDD spinner with a solid state flash SSD.

If you need someone else to do the work, do a web search for Authorized Apple dealer/repair shops in those areas. NOT an Apple Store.

- Patrick
======

·
Registered
674 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
If you're at all handy and/or can follow directions properly, you could replace the drive yourself.

It's not the easiest, but those iMac's aren't sealed up like some of the later models.

- Patrick
======
I may be mistaken, but in that vintage, isn't the drive accessible from the bottom panel? If so it would be an easy surgery. An SSD would give that system new life.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Depending on your sense of aesthetics, there is something to be said for mounting an external drive onthe back and connecting USB, and installing a fresh OS to boot from......

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
Depending on your sense of aesthetics, there is something to be said for mounting an external drive onthe back and connecting USB, and installing a fresh OS to boot from......
Booting/running from USB would be painful. Firewire would be a better option.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
Booting/running from USB would be painful. Firewire would be a better option.
Point taken. It is easy to forget that Firewire ever existed as it seems to have passed into history............

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
And don't forget to shell out the dough to Apple to purchase the appropriate adapter(s) to accomplish this with perhaps two former Firewire plug models, at least two different USB options depending on the age of your computer not to mention the pain the in butt involved. Even my 2015 model MBP has few options and only one is left on anything newer. This is progress?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
In a way, yes.
Everything is going to the "cloud" whether we like it or not. I personally hate it.
Peripherals are becoming a thing of the past sadly.
My greatest laptop/computer was a Pismo FW500.
I thought it was great to be able to swap out the floppy drive for a CD drive or zip drive or extra battery.
The times, they are a changing' :-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts