1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
17,744 Posts
Reports are trickling in of the 27" i5 Quad-Core iMacs shipping out of China for Friday the 13th Delivery:

Mac Forums - View Single Post - Apple begins shipping Core i5 iMacs

AppleInsider | Apple begins shipping quad-core 27-inch iMac models

Be great to see some benchmarks on these systems, and see if they actually are 2-2.5x faster than the Core2Duos.
Do hope that the delivery date is not some kind of omen. Somehow a computer from hell is not something one wants to see in the Apple line-up.beejacon

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahahah. I'm just hoping they have them in stores ASAP - will be nice to test one along side a MacPro. :D

·
Premium Member
30,859 Posts
We'll be doing that but I'd not hold my breath on the comparison ;)

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We'll be doing that but I'd not hold my breath on the comparison ;)
I dunno, if Apple lets the i7 use HyperThreading (and why not) - the i7 will be listed as 8 virtual cores, 4 physical cores, and could really give (especially earlier) MacPro's a run for their money. :D

·
Registered
581 Posts
I dunno, if Apple lets the i7 use HyperThreading (and why not) - the i7 will be listed as 8 virtual cores, 4 physical cores, and could really give (especially earlier) MacPro's a run for their money. :D
We have an i7 pc with 24GB ram running under windows 7 x 64 that we use for Revit Architecture, and I thought it was fast until I went to visit an Architect that was running it on a 8 core Mac Pro under boot camp, and that baby was smoking in comparison, these are Large Revit models with all the structural steel and furniture, it seemed to calculate the 3d views twice as fast.

I don't have hard numbers but it seemed a lot faster, and I use this every day.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm, that's interesting, JeepGuy, especially when you think the 8-core MacPros are available in the Refurb Section for $2499 - about the same price as the i7 iMac. (but then you don't get the giant 27" screen ;) )

·
Premium Member
30,859 Posts
Careful - 8 core previous gen not Nehalem.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hmmm, that's interesting, JeepGuy, especially when you think the 8-core MacPros are available in the Refurb Section for $2499 - about the same price as the i7 iMac. (but then you don't get the giant 27" screen ;) )
I prefer dual screens, now dual 27" that would be a sight!!

P.S. it was a Nehalem 8 core, with 32GB of ram.

·
Registered
26 Posts
iMac i7 Arrived

My new iMac i7 arrived today via UPS. To sound truely Canadian I must describe it like this. "She's a beauty eh!":D

·
Registered
216 Posts
My new iMac i7 arrived today via UPS. To sound truely Canadian I must describe it like this. "She's a beauty eh!":D
I'm jealous. I ordered mine on day 1 and I'm still waiting.

Mine is taking an Asian tour courtesy of UPS. Shanghai ---> Hong Kong ---> Japan (as of today). :(

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Other thoughts? Pics? Mini-Reviews? Some of us need to live vicariously through you guys with the shiny new toys! ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
too bad my desktop is still capable for all my gaming and usage... or else I would upgrade to a 27 inch imac...
seeing that Im still only playing oblivion and I can still run Max setting in Dragon Age, means I still have a few years until I upgrade... :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
To begin with, I have to tell you its my first Mac so everything is new to me. The 27" screen is huge!! I am amazed at how good it looks and how detailed and life like the screen images are. The setup was amazingly fast and easy, even for a first timer like me. The machine is very fast and runs everything so far with speed and no hiccups. I am running Final Cut Pro 7 as part of the Final Cut Studio package and it is handling everything seamlessly so far. For audio I am using M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors and out of the earphone port and the sound is wonderful. All in all my iMac i7 has done all I have asked of it, I give it two thumbs up!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Got mine today! :D

What a strange route that UPS took. After Japan, it went to Alaska ---> Kentucky ---> Buffalo ---> Concord, Ontario.

Anyways, just happy that I got mine. My 20" monitor (4:3) looks like a laptop beside it. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts