Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Mac Guru
14,623 Posts
I wouldn't invest in this upgrade. First of all, Powerlogix has a bad habbit of making its G3 upgrades with 512k of L2 cache - which is just horrible for Mac OS X performance. Lacking a 1 MB L2 cache, which is already old and outdated enough, would of helped a lot. Also, since the iMacs aren't upgradable video (graphics card), I wouldn't invest in doing much more with it. For those people who don't need the video power, it might be a worthy upgrade, but those iMacs with 8 MB of video memory will suffer good OS X performance more from a poor graphics card than a slow processor.

Make a G4 upgrade card, give it a 1 MB L2 cache, and then come and tell me. Right now, this upgrade isn't worth it for most users.

· Mac Guru
14,623 Posts
Unless you have invested already hundreds of dollars in your low-end iMac, this upgrade is NOT worth it. You will want a G4 processor nowadays (no matter how badly you want to deny it), and with such a small L2 cache, it's really dropping the value of the upgrade. And like I said earilier, the iMacs with such little video memory hold back your performance in OS X big time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.