Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father was told that whether Sympatico High Speed will work with older computers is "random" (!). He has an original iMac (9.2) and email won't work. But I know many people with the same or older computers and they use SHS with no issues. Anybody running something similar or have any thoughts on this ?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Lacking details. What exactly "doesn't work?" Email... which part? Receiving? Sending?

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
snout:

I just went to OS 9.2.2 on my Sawtooth after not being there in 9 or more Months, I configured my email and browser NetScape 4.7 (first time I launched program) configured it from memory and it worked with the first try.

I used Netscape 4.7 for the first time and used the assistant to configure it.

I use Bell Aliant's NBNet Service but it works in a similar manner to Sympatico.

So to answer your question YES it should work with a 266 Mhz G3 iMac.

As Lars said more details would be helpful to get your Dad up and running.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Ethernet is ethernet. I have an old Performa with System 8 on it and it connects.
Ethernet has nothing to do with your OS. Of course using a router helps and eliminates the need for that crap that Sympatico makes PC users install on their machines.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Ethernet is ethernet. I have an old Performa with System 8 on it and it connects.
Ethernet has nothing to do with your OS. Of course using a router helps and eliminates the need for that crap that Sympatico makes PC users install on their machines.
If Sympatico requires PPPoE for connectivity, running OS 9 could be a problem. PPPoE is not PC-specific.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts