Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey Guys.

I just took a video to help describe the problem that I am having with my G5... and it's annoying me... :( Video of iMac G5 not booting (blue screen) 2mins (sorry about my voice, very tired...)

The problem is it's not booting, and i get a blue screen that switches a couple shades of blue... quick strange... anyways here's the video let me know what i can do.

Is there a way to access the Startup Disk via a keyboard shortcup? Basically what i did was I have the CD, as well as I backed up a copy onto my iPod and I want to boot from my iPod to reinstall the OS.

Let me know.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Hold down the "Option" key on boot to display all possible boot volumes on startup - to which you can then choose one to boot from.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hold down the "Option" key on boot to display all possible boot volumes on startup - to which you can then choose one to boot from.
Uhmm.. ill try that out... i have a wireless keyboard, but not sure if it will work... cuz it needs bluetooth, no?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's what i go... what do i do?

There a "reload icon" the center is a Macintosh HD icon and there's a right arrow icon?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
From that screenshot, the iMac's internal hard drive is the only valid boot volume. If you've attached other volumes to the machine, they are not valid boot drives, hence not in the list. Be advised the G5-based units cannot boot off any USB-connected volumes. (FireWire only.)

The arrow means boot from the selected volume. The looped arrow means reload the list of valid boot volumes.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what do i do?

I can only see the Mac HD... not the USB, how can I get it to work with a Firewire?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
So what do i do?

I can only see the Mac HD... not the USB, how can I get it to work with a Firewire?
If your iPod is a USB one, it's non compatible with a FireWire connection, making that option unavailable. (There is no solution.)

You need another bootable volume or installer -- either a hard drive connected via FireWire, or a retail Mac OS X Installer disc. (Or the disc(s) that originally came with the iMac.)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool.

Ill give it a shot a little later on and see whatsup! and will keep you guys posted, thanks Lars :)

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
I notice the picture says 10.6.2 on Joseph's hard drive. 10.6 will not run on PPC machines. Is that the problem then? CHeers, MArk

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I notice the picture says 10.6.2 on Joseph's hard drive. 10.6 will not run on PPC machines. Is that the problem then? CHeers, MArk
Hey Mark.. my macbook pro is 10.6 and my iMac is 10.5 here's a screenshot from the video.

The screenshot that i took of the startup disk was from my MacBook Pro, and of course thats' beacuse I can't log into my iMac. I will upload the dmg file from my iPod to my external hard drive and connected it via Firewire and hope that it will work.

Here's a question.

I have a bunch of files on my external hard drive, do I need to do anything special such as reformat the drive, and so on? or just drag the DMG file anywhere on the external? Here's how my external drive looks like (I have all my goods backed up there)

Let me know plz

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Forget any DMG files - that isn't relevant to booting from an external volume. You need a drive with a OS already installed on it to boot from. If you want to reinstall the OS on the iMac, you need to boot from a compatible, valid Mac OS X Installer disc.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good... ill just boot from the CD... and keep you guys posted. Thanks again!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright! Here's what's happening!

I got my sister to hook me up with her retail CD... but im not sure if its 10.5 or 10.6 (but she got her MacBook December 2008) so when booted up with the CD 1 inside the iMac, it went into the install menu, but said something like "this computer cannot install this cd" so I guess its prolly a different version or not compatible...

That being side, i clicked on Disk Utility to go into the HD and repair... so thats' what im doing now.

Hope that works :( let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It will say that the software can't be installed if it is already installed. Either way that doesn't matter, just having it boot was what you wanted to accomplish right?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It will say that the software can't be installed if it is already installed. Either way that doesn't matter, just having it boot was what you wanted to accomplish right?
Hey J.

Well, not really - I wanted to re-install the OS on the iMac. Now that its booting through the CD, I was hoping to re-install but I guess I couldn't. How can I though?

Also, by disk repairing, I am hoping that would solve the problem. It's still repairing, the progress bar is still going, and its been maybe 15min?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sorry, I meant that booting from the disk would give you the opportunity to troubleshoot more, (eg Disk Utility).
If you are trying to install, make sure you do a custom install and choose "Archive and Install" I don't know what disks you have, but that might work. You Say it is a retail CD, then it should work as long as it's not Snow leopard, but if it's one that cam with a computer, it's locked to that specific model.
Let the disk Utility finish and try to reboot to your hard drive. If that doesn't work, try booting in safe mode. Turn Computer off, then on again and as soon as you hear the chime, hold down the shift key, release it when you see the grey screen with the apple icon and spinning indicator

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, I meant that booting from the disk would give you the opportunity to troubleshoot more, (eg Disk Utility).
If you are trying to install, make sure you do a custom install and choose "Archive and Install" I don't know what disks you have, but that might work. You Say it is a retail CD, then it should work as long as it's not Snow leopard, but if it's one that cam with a computer, it's locked to that specific model.
Let the disk Utility finish and try to reboot to your hard drive. If that doesn't work, try booting in safe mode. Turn Computer off, then on again and as soon as you hear the chime, hold down the shift key, release it when you see the grey screen with the apple icon and spinning indicator
I think you might be right... Cause she has a MacBook and this is a iMac... i dont think it will let me install the OS because when it boots, there isn't an option to install. There's only a error message saying "cannot install...." and the only thing that I can do is try to repair the drive...

And it is a retail version because she bought it from BestBuy :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Retail Discs are not computer specific, so maybe it is Snow Leopard that she bought. You need a leopard disk to re-install leopard as snow leopard doesn't support non intel Macs.

You can also try resetting the PRAM Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM and the SMU iMac G5: How to Reset the SMU

Let me know if any of this helps
When did snow come out? in Dec 2008? I dont think so? Snow was sometime in 2009, no? Anyways, ah another thing! How long would it take or does it take for the disk repair to finish? It's been over 30-40 minutes now... ??

I tried the PRAM about 2 months ago and nothing, but I'll give it a try soon. Please let me know about my questions in the above.

THanks.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You are right, Snow leopard was not out then.

I don't know how long it will take, I've had it take a long time before, I suggest waiting for it to finish anyway.

How long has this computer been like this if you tried resetting the PRAM 2 months ago?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts