Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume this is the documented problem with these G5's, but what I really didn't expect, was that when I connected it to another screen or even accessed the computer over VNC, the same screen shows up. When booting from the Install disks or running tech tool pro, the distortion is always there. I can understand it being a video issue for the screen and even an external screen, but I can't understand why it shows the distorted screen over VNC. At this point, I'm not even looking for a fix, I just want a reason why this would be happening.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
VNC is as Wekiapedia says just "... transmits the keyboard and mouse events from one computer to another, relaying the graphical screen updates back in the other direction, over a network."

ie: whatever the G5 iMac's display graphics are will be sent.

Actually, if you had a different Mac model and pulled the graphics card and disconnected the display, not exactly easy with a G5 iMac, the VNC access would probably display it as a normal screen.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmm, interesting, can't exactly pull the graphics card, it's sautered to the motherboard. If i just disconnected the display, it would still diplay distorted through VNC right? What if I used some other remote desktop method to connect to the computer or will they all do the same that VNC does.

·
Premium Member
15,502 Posts
As I mentioned, "...not exactly easy..." was a bit of tongue-in-cheek and an exaggerated understatement. Let's just say almost impossible or just impossible to be realistic.

As I understand the VNC image display, it just sends back the monitor 'image' it sees, pixel for pixel, so it becomes a real WYSIWYG view.

For your G5, I'm guessing that it would depend on what's causing the pixillation and distortion - the graphics card or the display or whatever.

I believe that the Apple Authorized Service Centers have Apple restricted software utilities etc. to do the tests as to the actual cause which may be a good option for you to give the closest one to you a call.

There's a good chance that Apple's "Apple Remote Desktop 3.x" would bypass the display problem but I don't think you'll want to spend $200.00 ±!!! Usually +!!!

Maybe another 'better' VNC application than the one you're presently using may be another option.

Too many variables here to give a more constructive reply, but maybe someone else will chime in with a good answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts