Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody!! :D

Like some Imac G3 user, I have some problem with it... I bought it used last year. Their was Tiger installed on it but the guy who sold it to me gave me Tiger Cd's + Imac G3 restore Cd's with it. I ran Tiger for about a year until yesterday when I completely restore my Imac and reinstall Tiger. All went fine. I did the updates (Tiger 10.4.11), installed my writing software and finally installed the security update 2009-005. I restart it and all was good. I put it in sleep mode for the night and went to bed.

This morning, I tried to turn it on but it was only showing a black screen (I heard the sound of the screen, the HDD, but the screen was still black). So, I held the power button to put it off. I tried to restart it, but the screen was black (the HDD was running, and the Mac did the ''BOING'' sound like habitually). I tried to reset my PRAM by pressing Command, Option, P, and R keys on startup, but still nothing. I think that my keyboard/mouse doesn't respond (the red light under my mouse stay close).

So, I hope somebody knows how to fix this. I love my Mac, I don't want to loose it... :-(

Thank you!!! :)

Nicolas

·
Premium Member
17,823 Posts
May be time to give up.

First however I would replace the PRAM battery. Should be about $10 at say "Battery Depot". This will also ZAP the PRAM.

I have a good pdf file that shows how to do it. Send me a PM (private message with your eMail address and I will send it along to you.

NOTE: IF this is one of the early tray loading iMacs replacing the battery is a good deal more complicated.

·
Premium Member
17,823 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,823 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Another used iMac G3 should run you about $30 these days. I know, I know, not what you want to hear. ;)

·
Premium Member
15,768 Posts
Thanks for your idea :)
I'll try a new battery in it and if it doesn't work, I'll see for... maybe a newer one!! :D
If it's not too late to help replace that iMacs PRAM battery, you don't have to tear apart that iMac to do so.

All you need is a small long screwdriver or some-such to dislodge and later press in a new replacement battery, and one of the cheap push button flexible with three tongs parts pickup tools.

Lay the iMac down as if you were replacing the RAM, remove the cover and you'll see the PRAM battery down and to the left of the RAM slots.

Dislodge the PRAM battery from its holder and use the parts pickup device to grab and remove the battery.

Use the parts pickup device to position the new battery into its proper polarity position and use the long blade screwdriver to push it firmly into place.

Ten minutes max and a h___ of a lot easier than pulling the iMac apart to replace its PRAM battery!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts