Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's OSX perform on these 400 iMacs? My Beige G3 is being replaced with a iMac DV 400 for the time being, and I had OS X running my 366 G3 with 16 MB of VRAM - how's OSX on these machines with the 8 MB graphics card? I know the iMac's got the AGP bus and a 100 MHz FSB vs. 66 MHz FSB on the Beige G3 machine.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
All I can tell you is, my original series iBook has specs significantly lower than your iMac DV (e.g., a 4 meg graphics card), and it's working just fine. No problems with QT playback, no problems with GUI responsiveness, etc. (Though I'm sure I'll change my tune when I get a new laptop!)

M.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
I think we had a thread on this a couple of weeks ago and the consensus was OS X works fine.

I know it does for me.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link, reminder!

·
Registered
933 Posts
My 400 mHz iMac runs very nicely with 512 of RAM and a 7200 rpm 80 gig HD. It does seem to have problems with CDs in the drive (frequent hangs) but it was flakey in this regard using OS 9 as well so I think that is unrelated to X.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a question - the iMac requires 8ns 168-pin SDRAM - would 10ns 168-pin SDRAM work or not?

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
As I have been told quite often by my Mac family....

Ram
Ram
Ram.

Get more. Mac OSX will run much better....especially with the DV line of machines. My iMac 400 MHZ machine runs much faster than the 500 or 600 models at my school lab.

I've got a 60 gig WD 7200 RPM drive and a gig of ram.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Jaguar is certainly stable on a 400mhz iMac, but it isn't fast. You really notice the slower booting and application startup vs OS 9. But all of the features work well and I've never had a freeze in OS X.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts