Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in toronto know where I can go to get my CDROM in my Bondi Blue Tray loading iMac fixed?

The door latch is busted and the tray won't stay shut.

Or does anyone know where I could buy a replacement drive.

Cheers

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Any Authorized Mac Service provider should be able to fix it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea on how much something like this cost? I'm trying to get a quote on a price. I'd like to know what a replacement would cost, because that would be the most expensive option.

I called a couple places but they wouldn't give me a price.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
it's hard to get a price for something that may or may not be broken and not knowing what else needs to be repaired

most places usually charge a flat fee to look at the item

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Expect to pay at least $70/hour for labor, if they can do it. And who knows, they may even need to order in a new part, and that'll cost even more.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had the cd-rom tray bust on my bondi iMac too. I used duct tape for a couple months, then one day as I was carrying it, I set it down kind of heavy and my hand hit the tray and then it was fixed! Wierdest thing ever - I was happy.

Hopefully you're able to find a fix that isn't too costly. Sorry I don't have any better advice for you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone.

I'm going to take a look at it myself, I've taken apart about 8-9 Macs (including installing a new HD on a white iBook) in my time so I am fairly confident I'll be able to fix it myself or at least replace it with a a new CD Drive for about $65 US from Wegner.

Spending 200 bucks to repair seems like a lot since the computer really isn't worth that much.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Well...If you have to shop south of the border...
You may as well buy from the best supplier:

MCE

Canadian distributer for MCE and others:

Grabil.ca

I'm not sure how this outfit works though...
I haven't bought anything from them yet.

Dave :cool:

[ October 08, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: dolawren ]

·
Registered
535 Posts
When you say busted what exactly do you mean? Is there physical damage or is it just not sticking when you close it? If it is the latter, take the drive out of the imac and make sure the white tab is seated correctly on the side of the drive. I had the very same problem and realized the tab wasn't catching in the right spot. You'll see once you open it, that the tab controls the actual length of movement. Good luck

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks hmto thats a pretty helpful post. I don't think its physically damaged just wont stay closed so I'll give your suggestion a go.

Thanks Gerbil the manual will be pretty handy to have ;)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts