Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading an article by Alex Salkever on Business week.

He basically talks about the iMacs faltering sales. And his solution would be to "cut of its head", as he says, and take off the LCD screen. He goes on to say how it would be wonderful to have a small Mac sitting on your desk. Further to that he goes on to say that the novelty of an all-in-one system is over. The tone of the article leads you to believe that all of this is "new" thinking.

However what I don't quite seem to understand is... isn't he describing the Cube?

Can somebody else chip in, as I think I might have miss read the article.

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
No, I think you're right. PC users just don't understand the all-in-one concept. "I have to be able to upgrade, I have to be able to upgrade", meanwhile, half of them never do and are left computer which lived out half of it's potential. Instead they could have purchased a well designed computer (Mac of course) and got twice the use out of it, better return on the investment. Besides, the cube wasn't even a blip on a PC user's radar. I'm not surprised he didn't make any mention of it.

(Okay, I know I've taken some liberty with my statistics, but my point is made.)

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
While I agree that iMac sales are underachieving, I disagree with the writer's conclusion (i.e., get rid of the monitor). The iMac has three problems with it and none are design-specific:

1. Speed. They must get the G5 in these and fast.
2. Price point. Apple was once fairly price competitive with its iMac G3 model, and now it seems that the eMac has picked up that role in the line-up. But that's no excuse for what has become a substantial price gap between the iMac and similarly featured PCs.
3. Business sales. Why in this day and age does Apple not have a fleet sales policy? A business that is ready to switch it entire organization should get a favourable quote from Apple. It's just plain good sense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts