Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
RtC, just checked out Envy News, and it is quite an interesting and informative website.

On a totally different note, were in the Montreal area back in 1971? I told my wife that I was going to visit a friend in Montreal on March 4, 1971, but was snowed out due to a massive blizzard. She said that there is no way I could remember that Montreal was hit with such a big storm after so many years. I don't suppose that you recall this storm?

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
RtC, not knowing your age, I thought it was worth a shot. :( :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
RtC, actually, asking one's age is now against the regulations at the university level when serving on a search committee.

Still, it is amazing how when I first came to Memorial University as an Assistant Prof, I was 28 going on 29, and all of my undergrad students were in their early 20s. Now, as a Full Professor, all of my undergrad students are in their early 20s, and I am as old as their fathers. :eek: :eek: :eek:

On a similar topic, my son, who is all of 16 and has never worked in his life, announced today that he would like to retire. Forget about college, working, RRSPs, and the like -- just jump straight to "freedom 55" years early. Youth is wasted on the young. :mad: :eek: :D :rolleyes:

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Fear not, Rhino, I shall not be party to steering a thread too far off course. :D

If I want to become "lost in space", the Monster Thread it nearing the ionoshpere.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
RtC, I have decided to go with the top-of-the -line iMac. I am not one who needs speed (or bragging rights), but I don't purchase computers all that often, nor do I upgrade much, so this seems like a wise choice for my needs.

There, we are back on track. :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
RtC, in that this purchase is from my research grant (money that I put into a fund untaxed so that I could buy my own computer, which is, technically, the property of the university, but which will be taken home with me "forever and a day"), the computer needs to be purchased new. The Computer Purchasing Center has a deal with Apple Canada, and is able to pass on the educational discount. I had considered the 17" AlPB, but that would have left me with only apx. $500 left in the pool. I like the portability and the 17" screen, but I have a Dell laptop, and the iMac would be maily utilized for iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD, so it won't be on the road along with my digital camera and DV videocam.

I am not into the "cool factor" either, but it did attract a great deal of attention when one was set up in an office of a web designer for our Continuing Education tech-persons.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
So let me get this straight.

Dr. G. has decided again to buy the iMac?

This like watching a tennis ball go back and forth across the court in an all too long rally.

I wonder if we can setup a pool for how long it will be before Dr. G. reconsiders his "alleged" purchase.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Macspectrum, I weighed the various points of view from the MacMavens in ehMacLand, and went with the iMac. My initial consideration of the 17" AlPB was changed by the factors presented by various people in this forum. Thus, the decision was made awhile ago, just check out the "Did Dr.G. get a Mac?" thread.

I think that there was a pool and I chose having the iMac up and running by May 1st. "Mac users of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your Wintel chains!"

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I benchmarked my new 17 inch iMac G4 1GHZ against an 800 model, using xbench http://xbench.com/ (note: the stats page seems to shut down for maintenance an awful lot). Sure there's a difference, whether it's a significant difference is a matter of personal opinion.

There are four harware changes that have helped speed up the 1GHZ model: the 200GHZ bump-up on the CPU, the use of DDR RAM, the 133MHz system bus, and a faster video card (NVIDIA GeForce4 MX with 64 MB, instead of the GeForce2 MX with 32 MB).

One thing is certain: I'm very glad that I bought the model that I did!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RicktheChemist:
I posted a little blurb about it:

iMac 800 versus 1 Ghz

The performance differences are not that large, and I presume the iMac 800 would be a bit cheaper.

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. There is also the iBook: iBook comparison
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Patrick, glad to hear that you are pleased with the new iMac. What screen resolution do you utilize with this 17" LCD? I ask this in that I have vision problems, and I have set a friend's 17" screen to the 800 X 600 stretched size, and this seems fine for my vision. Just curious what you are utilizing and if you have experienced any problems with certains web pages/tasks at this resolution. Merci.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I have mine set to 1440x900 (the maximum) setting. No problems here at all. In fact, I find that I am making very good use of all the extra screen space when working with multiple documents...it's really quite convenient.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
Patrick, glad to hear that you are pleased with the new iMac. What screen resolution do you utilize with this 17" LCD? I ask this in that I have vision problems, and I have set a friend's 17" screen to the 800 X 600 stretched size, and this seems fine for my vision. Just curious what you are utilizing and if you have experienced any problems with certains web pages/tasks at this resolution. Merci.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> She said that there is no way I could remember that Montreal was hit with such a big storm after so many years. I don't suppose that you recall this storm?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Dad STILL tells stories about this storm as if it were legendary around the globe. I have seen the pictures...and I must say, it was truly a remarkable blizzard. :D
;)

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Patrick, the 1440 X 900 would be way too small for my vision. I was just curious as to your initial reactions about the system. I shall be putting in as much RAM as it will take, along with the Airport Extreme Card, and I guess a Bluetooth card, although I have no current need for that function.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,363 Posts
Vgg, we should really take any discussions of blizzards over the RtC's thread about shoveling snow. Surfice it to say, I have only been through two blizzards here in St.John's that were worse than what Montreal experienced, although in a city the size of Montreal it would have been more difficult to "survive". St.John's is comprised of 90%+ home owners (or renters of homes) and only 10% apartment dwellers or students living in dorms.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts