Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just gotta' say it...

For the first time, I saw the iMac 24" with my own eyes. Moved the mouse, poked around the desktop in my PC-for-25-years-know-almost-nothing-Maccy way.

It's the sexiest computer equipment I've ever laid my hands on, or have ever experienced.

Hoo-lee CRAP! :eek: :love2:

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
Did you buy one, or just drool over it in the store? :) I had my hands on one at the checkout counter, and decided it was too much $$$ at the time, but those machines are freakin beautiful, and very tempting ;)

·
Palindromic Pooch
10,621 Posts
Like everything else, BlueMax, you can't even really imagine how sexy it is until you've taken it home and had your way with it in your own house. I've had mine for about seven months, and have regretted buying it for about zero seconds.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have had almost 3000 views opening my 24 inch iMac. I guess lots of people want a feel for the size. YouTube - 24 inch iMac setup

I could never see myself going back to a smaller screen. The upgraded video and RAM were good investments. I wish the ports were on the side though. The machine is so big it is difficult plugging the DVI to S-video cable in to watch movies.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Man...

A buddy of mine @ Apple swears by this unit. He thinks that it's one of the must underrated units out there. I just can't get over how big it is. I will say this thoungh:

I totally see the use for the size of that screen. I've been doing some mild webDev and on a MacBook. Ouch. With all the windows open, it's not been pretty. HA.

What a nice unit.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I second every comment on the buy side.

We have added a second 22 inch second screen to run XP on if necessary. They make a terrific workstation. Extra RAM is required. Wireless is awesome except for the consumed batteries. Wish Mighty Mouse had a right click.

Buy it and enjoy the experience. We moved from iMacDV to this. Very easy decision that costs large but very pleasant experience.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Wish Mighty Mouse had a right click
It does! I have a wired mighty mouse n all the buttons are customizable... go into your System Preferances panel n you'll see.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
OK Genie - your on. I remember fooling in that window but it must have been a senior moment. I get the G4 867 and the Mrs gets the 24" iMac.:D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just have to get one!!

My reasons:

1) It's just plain awesome!
2) Windows is driving me mad with its oddities, insecurities and faults.
3) I want to concentrate on writing music.
4) I'm a PC gaming addict and eliminating the Windows platform will reduce the amount of games I can find/run. I don't buy any games, and Mac doesn't have many. This is a good thing.

Oy... I just spent SIX HOURS playing games... it's 2AM and I need to sleep. I should be so ashamed.... :( :eek:

I just did another wipeout, all games gone. But they trickle back in because I know where do download them... :eek: THAT has to come to an end too.

(Someone please tell me there aren't many Mac bittorrents out there!!)

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
(Someone please tell me there aren't many Mac bittorrents out there!!)
There aren't many Mac bittorrents out there.

I am lying unfortunately. ;-)

·
Registered
369 Posts
You should get the Apple VESA mounting kit for the 24"....it looks AMAZING wall mounted. I just did mine last night. Frees up desk space and looks awesome.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Funny about all of these comments. I've actually heard from a couple of people who have bought them that they wished they had stayed with the 20" instead. The 24" was just "too big".

I guess the position is important. If you stay wired (keyboard/mouse) then I can see the screen being too big. If you go bluetooth, then you can push the screen farther back (or wall mount it, great idea) and take advantage of it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As far as I'm concerned the 24" screen is not "too big"... as a matter of fact I'd say it's just perfect :D

Yes, I do have the BT keyboard and mouse but no I don't have it any further back then I normaly would, at least I don't think so. The extra real estate on the desktop is just perfect for having multiple apps open which the iMac handles just fine thank you very much.

I too thought about getting the 20" instead but opted for the 24" and I've had no regrets since.

Get one if that's what you want, guaranteed you won't regret it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
804 Posts
That doesn't make sense because of the resolution. Text is the same size on a 24 inch, there is just way more room. I can have two Word docs open side by side or read a PDF at 100% with two pages open side by side. You don't have to sit back further. You sit the same distance.
I am looking at my 24 iMac and the images are the same size they were on my 17 inch monitor, and the same as my 14 inch iBook. I have the wireless KB and mouse though because I take the keyboard next door. I connect my iMac to the big screen in the family room through an S-vidoe cable and then use the keyboard to pause and play video. the range on the keyboard is pretty good, even through walls.

Like the VESA idea. That will be a project for another day.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I have a 24" BenQ LCD screen connected to my MacBook Pro. Moved up from a 23" which had the same resolution (1920x1200), and at first I didn't like how big everything looked compared to the 23". Obviously if you have the same number of pixels packed into a smaller area, it will look sharper. It's possible the 20" iMac is sharper than the 24" model for this reason.

If my calculations are correct, the 20" model has 107 ppi, while the 24" model is 102 ppi. So the 20" model would have a sharper image. This maybe why some people prefer the 20" model. Of course, the larger screen lets you sit further away from it, negating the difference in sharpness.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts