Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you check out this thread on the Apple Discussion area on apple.com, you'll understand why...
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.599a487d

It's likely the largest thread on Apple Discussions, and it's scary as hell. Four hundred and eleven posts! :(

I bought a G5 dual for one specific purpose... to create a digital audio workstation that relies on no outboard hardware. I've spent the last 2 months acquiring (buying) the necessary software tools, and have discarded all my old OS 9 music applications and old hardware analog equipment. BUT...

Although I haven't assembled all the tools to run on my G5, I HAVE heard an occasional chirping sound from my G5. It doesn't relay through to my Altec Lansing speakers through the G5's speaker out. But I'm concerned that it might when I hook up my midi/audio interface in the next week or so.

If anyone has experienced this power supply problem, please let me know if it was audible through the speaker output on the the back of your G5, and...
If the power supply replacement was done locally, or required a return shipment of your G5?

I know, I know, I'm putting the cart before the horse, but occasionally, I hear the same chirping sound that the Apple Discussion thread relates to. I'm bothered by that thread. I think mine might be one of those!

If my worry turns out to be nothing, I'll buy everyone a beer at the pub most geographically convenient to all ehMac citizens. Organizing such an event falls to someone else though. =)

-Howie

·
Premium Member
30,994 Posts
The chirping is more likely the drives journaling.

It's early on G5s for audio and I would likely say you jumped the gun by a year. Only now are audio clients starting to settled in X on dual and single G4s.

With the new architecture and power comes a number of issues that WILL be resolved but are not at the moment.

Not much consolation I know but you bought leading edge and the phrase "bleeding edge" has a lot of reality in the Mac universe. :cool:

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
How, excactly, does one disable "journaling" in Jaguar ?

It has been suggested that my trials and tribulations with Final Cut Express could be because this app has some issues with journaling.

I'm ready to try anything.

·
Premium Member
30,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm trying to figure out what a whack of bad psu's in G5's has to do with bleeding edge. But none the less, many G5 owners with good power supplies are doing audio quite nicely in OS X. There's a few issues with Panther, but very few with Jaguar.

My concern is that I have one of many bad power supply units that chirps. It can be heard sitting beside the machine, but worse, it resonates through the audio channel on the motherboard.

-Howie

·
Registered
232 Posts
The chirping is caused by the nap mode in the G5. I installed CHUD tools and turned nap mode off and voila there is no chirping, You have to turn off Nap mode in CHUD tools everytime you restart so CHUD tools doesn't permanently change your hardware settings.

·
Premium Member
30,994 Posts
"I'm trying to figure out what a whack of bad psu's in G5's has to do with bleeding edge"
That's a typical "first gen" issue and the while the G5 has fewer problems than any major architecture change I can recall it has a few.
The PS on my second G5 is definitely noiser than the first one so there is some significant variation.
However it doesn't compare to the "wind tunnels" that Apple produced with the introduction of the G4 MDD series. :(

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've heard tha Apple used really cheap fans in the PSU which causes the hum, noise on some G5's. I think on XLR8yourmac someone pulled apart their PSU and installed new fans and got rid of the problem.

My CPU isn't loud but it has the constant hum (kind of like an aquarium) but softer.

·
Premium Member
30,994 Posts
Yes that's a good descriptor - my aquarium is actually a bit quieter because of the pump I use

I use the Rena pumps and they are way better and quieter than anything else I've used.

I'll check the next G5 that comes through and compare - my first one was quieter :(
Shoulda just swapped vid cards instead of boxes.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sorry, I am not sure where this fits in but most of the audio engineers that do this sort of stuff professionally seem to have their machines remotely located in another room so there is no noise at all.

Is this sort of thing not an option for anyone? To me it makes more sense to have a little noise as possible. I have not heard this G5 humming noise from any of my clients so I really can't say..

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it were just the sound of the G5 while sitting beside it, that would be okay, but instead it's that same sound transmitting through the audio circuitry. This post on a Cubase forum really says it all...
http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/017022.html

-Howie

·
Premium Member
30,994 Posts
That's bad and the G4 MDDs had that problem too. Fixed with a new power supply

1 - 14 of 14 Posts