1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Where did you buy your Mac?

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Sounds fishy to me. I have checked out all data on iLife in Canada and can't find a $30 charge for iLife anywhere. Every thing points to free on new computers. Generally they don't grandfather to computers sitting in stores(meaning not include).
They should give you disks much like the Panther upgrade.

Have you called Apple directly? If not, maybe you should.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Ya, I'll sign that petition!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I'd like to come to the defense of the reseller and tell you they are doing nothing fishy here.

Here is a link to Apple's iLife Up-To-Date program. There are thousands of machines in the channel right now, on shelves waiting to be shipped. Apple couldn't possibly make all the iLife update CD's, ship them to all the places that still have old stock, expect the distributers and resellers to open up each and every box or install the software. That just isn't feasible.

What Apple is doing is providing a way for every new Mac owner to enjoy iLife '04. For basically the cost of shipping, the CD and the documentation you get to use this wonderful suite of applications.

I feel pretty confident in saying that a month from now you'll be enjoying iLife '04 and probably will have forgotten all about your $30. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
First of all you needed to ask a few questions as to what system you are getting, and will it be loaded. If you did that and it turned out not to be true I would have returned it and have them do it. Over 3000.00 is alot of money.
Secondly, maybe alittle negotiating on your part might have landed you iLife for free.
And, if you are a switcher, you will quickly realize you are NOT running, you know, the other system.
I can't even type it.
Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
Oh, BTW, despite the bad taste. It is so worth the $30

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
So what is easier for the company? To take inventory of what every store has in stock, create that many DVD's, ship them to each location at your own cost and assume that the reseller is going to properly give one to each customer?

or

Create the DVD's, allow those customers who wish to upgrade the opportunity to do so at a small fee. That way Apple isn't creating and sending DVD's that some people will have no use for. iLife is a great tool for home users and even some pro users, but I have many customers who never use any of those apps because they use DVD Studio Pro, Final Cut and Logic. For Apple to go to the expense of sending out iLife to those customers who don't even want it doesn't make any sense.

It's just a logistical thing.

Also Apple provided a free flat-pack upgrade for OS X 10.1. This was great, if you already owned 10.0 you just went into the store, picked this up and you were upgraded. Two problems:

1) Apple and their resellers ended up with way too many made (I think we still have a box hanging around the store)

2) Some unscrupulous Mac users posted a method on the internet to make these free updaters into a full version of OS X 10.1. That way you could pick up the CD having not bought OS X 10.0 and get a free OS X 10.1.

Sending out free flat pack updates simply isn't good business. You either end up sending them to people who don't need them or making too many incurring the costs for nothing or you have people who take advantage of you.

·
Registered
645 Posts
First, I would have avoided Simply Computing. Not sure where you are located but if you are in the Vancouver area I would have gone to Mac Station.

Secondly Simply Computing is really kicking themselves for not including iLife 04 in that price you paid. If I was the sales person believe me you would have got a copy free of charge from me. You would have walked out a happy camper and I know you would be back for more business from me as apposed to now where you might not be coming back at all.

If you would have bought it directly from Apple and not a Retail store you would have got Panther and iLife 04 installed on it. Retail stores on the other hand are different, if they have old stock in the back, guess what? Depending on the store and the sales people you might end up with what it came with to begin with. Like I said, I would have given you an up to date Panther and iLife pre-installed and you would have walked away with a great experience.

·
Premium Member
1,779 Posts
So, Carbon Ken,
While I agree with your logic, I also watched the Keynote and Jobs Clearly states " ships free with every new Mac". Now, according to skaimauve, even if you buy new from the Apple store it's still $30.
That is not "Free with every new Mac". When does "free with every new Mac" kick in?
Given that and correct me if I'm wrong, but when Panther came out, were people not given the upgrade at time of purchase? I think they even mailed Free of charge if not available.

Just kicking it around!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Urban_Legend, I don't think your comments are very fair. First off call up 10 Mac dealer and ask them "If I buy a PowerBook will you give me $30 off the price so I can buy iLife '04?". Some of those reseller will say yes, but not all. I don't think it's fair to say to avoid them because of this, they are a business and it's Apple's policy, not theirs.

Also, I sold an eMac to a customer today that shipped from Apple on January 21st, I believe. The machine did have Panther pre-installed, but iLife '04 was not on the machine. This machine shipped from Apple AFTER the release of iLife '04. Even Apple isn't shipping out machines with it pre-installed.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
BTW, I don't want to make it sound like I am not sensitive to your situation. I bought an original G4 400 back in 1999 after OS 9 was released, but I had OS 8.6 pre-installed. I had to do the same kind of upgrade as this iLife one.

I was probably mad at first, but I had totally forgotten about it until thinking about this thread.

Trust me, you'll forget about the $30 eventually.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts