Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! For once it seems as though Apple is not going to punish us with an exorbitant exchange rate on a product. The newly announced iLife '04 is on the Apple Store Canada for $59. In comparison to the $49 USD price we're actually getting a bit of a break on the exchange rate.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Yep, this is a very good price.

I just ordered my copy. Apple promised me delivery by April 16th. So...I am keeping my fingers crossed.

:D

Can't wait for the super-fast iPhoto and Garage Band!!!

·
peek-a-boo
16,644 Posts
Hey. I noticed it said you need a dvd for garageband. Is that a dvd rom or dvd burner? I know you need the burner for iDVD, but garageband?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
DVD reader - with the huge amount of instruments and loops it makes sense.

Authoring DVDs i iDVD on non burner equipped machines is a real treat too - then you can burn them elsewhere.

Panther + iLife4 = :eek: This will get amny more users over to X and maybe some PCers to Mac. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
For GarageBand I'm pretty sure it would be DVD ROM, since they didn't say which. Later on they specify SuperDrive for iDVD. GarageBand probably comes on a DVDROM instead of a whole bunch of CDs.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Is that a dvd rom or dvd burner? I know you need the burner for iDVD, but garageband?
You need a simple DVD-ROM drive to read the discs (iLife comes on DVD).

·
peek-a-boo
16,644 Posts
Thanks. That's what I figured. I thought it would be cool to use this on the iBook at home, which only has a combo drive. Very nice package. I had a pc guy client in here watching and I think he's buying a mac from the 20 minutes he watched ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
So, is it safe to assume GarageBand will not be offered as a free download (eg iTunes, iPhoto etc)?

Good price for iLife regardless.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Would it be safe to assume that iTunes, iMovie and iPhoto will still be downloadable from Apple while Garageband and iDVD will only be available if you buy the iLife package?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
iTunes especially I cannot see them charging for. A lot of Windows people would be pissed off. Remember it's supposed to be driving sales of the iPod.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
#1 reason GarageBand will not be free: the size.

"with the huge amount of instruments and loops" --MacDoc

You said it - there's no way they are going to offer something as a free 3 GB download ...

From the requirements:
"4.3GB of disk space required to install GarageBand, iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD"

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
iTunes is downloadable at the Apple web site. However, I can't see any download links for iPhoto, iMovie or anything else. Doesn't look too good for those being free.

And iPhoto 4? I must of missed iPhoto 3.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
iTunes is downloadable at the Apple web site. However, I can't see any download links for iPhoto, iMovie or anything else. Doesn't look too good for those being free.

iTunes 4.2 has been available for a couple of weeks. The new versions of iMovie and iPhoto will probably be available for download the day they start shipping in boxes (January 16th).

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
The newly announced iLife '04 is on the Apple Store Canada for $59

And for those who are wondering, it is also on the Apple Education Store Canada for $39.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Apple is no longer offering iPhoto or iMovie as free downloads.

I bought iLife last year at launch time, and bought iLife '04 the minute the store was back online today! I plan to get the M-Audio 49e keyboard and Jam Pack expansion later this month. Yes, finally, I can go back to my music composition on the Mac. Good bye PC for my music needs - OUTRIGHT!

Now, if only there were more games on the Mac - i'd switch entirely over to Mac, and not have to use this blasted PC anymore!

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Here is my question/concern..
I placed my order,,
I also went back and was expecting to buy both the m-audio keyboard they showed us for 99US and the MonsterCable Guitar plugin..
Both are not available on www.apple.ca only www.apple.com
Anyone know where I can get the m-audio keyboard??

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just downloaded iTunes4 from the Apple website, but was unable to install it on my new Powerbook 12"/768/40 running 10.3.2. Is there some problem here I don't know about? I never had trouble updating one of these apps before. The installation went fine until the final step, when the iTunes software was greyed-out. The installer said it would take "zero bytes of space." Confused ...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well i just purchased ilife ..2003 version in December from apple.ca.

I wonder if I (we) will get upgrade pricing for the new ilife '04?

Frank

1 - 20 of 35 Posts