Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...would you consider buying one for $100 USD?

http://www.ipodhacks.com/article.php?sid=471&ipod-accessories

Rumor has it that on Friday Apple will introduce a low-cost iPod (5GB) for $100 dollars US.

I have been drooling over an iPod for a long time now, and have yet to purchase due to it's price. If this rumor holds true then I'm all over that!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
This would canabilize the other sizes and I believe would be a bad move for Apple. It would produce more trojan horses for the Mac OS cause but they are doing fine with the versions they have.

Apple has never really played this sort of cheap price game.

But maybe, I would get my ordering fingers ready just in case. ;)

can·ni·bal·ize     P   Pronunciation Key  (kn-b-lz)
v. can·ni·bal·ized, can·ni·bal·iz·ing, can·ni·bal·iz·es
v. tr.
To remove serviceable parts from (damaged airplanes, for example) for use in the repair of other equipment of the same kind.

To deprive of vital elements or resources, such as personnel, equipment, or funding, for use elsewhere: “It becomes necessary to cannibalize unsuccessful projects to fund those which can proceed” (Daily Report for Executives).

To draw on as a major source: “cannibalizes the lives of his wife and friends for his second-rate novels” (Washington Post).

To practice cannibalism on.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i think it's fantastic, that they make it more within reach. asking a parent to shell out $500 bucks for an iPod is absolutely insane..

not every parent is a top banker....

·
Registered
454 Posts
I think that it might be to good to be true.

However this would be cheap way from my wife and I to both have one. Seeing as she is always after mine.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
That'd be great, It would also be great if they changed the
existing battery to "AA" NiMH consumer bought batteries.
If they did that...Then I'd buy one.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Sweet! 5 gb is all I need. I will be one of these when my 10 gb dies. Forget replacing the batt! Same price and I can get a brand new, scratch free casing!

·
Premium Member
4,626 Posts
AA nimh?? yeah right, you'd be lucky to get more than a couple hours with those (besides the size they would add to the unit)... i wish they would just lower the price of the current models... they're overpriced. i think all mp3 players are, its not new technology. but if this 5gb were to come out id for sure pick one up... but i agree with everyone else, doubt it'll happen...

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
hmmm.... this is worth looking into. Not sure that the price is right though. Would make tons of sense as I cannot see a 5 GB HD being worth that much, but like someone mentioned, has the cost the iPod dipped such that this is worth manufacturing?? I would say @ the least $149 USD and make the announcement/start the campaign @ the top of Dec. No remote an no earphones. Just the iPod. Maybe you do thicken the unit a nd bring it back to 1st gen size w/ AAs. Dunno... I'll be looking for this event on Friday then..

h!

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
This move would make perfect sense. Apple would be flooding the market over Xmas with cheap players, while other manufactures struggle to keep up on the high end. What Apple wants to do now is start moving these things in mass quantities, so people will be able to get in on the Pepsi/ITMS promotion in February.

My guess though, is these low end pods may be limited in some ways, such as not being able to be used as a fw drive.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
i doubt this will happen. a 5 gig is no less expensive to produce than a 10 gig ...

there should be a reduction in price at some point because others have started to market hard disk based mp3 players, but a price slash that dramatic will not occur.

edit: i guess i should have read the article first. i've unwittingly repeated the same comments. oh well, nothing's new under the sun, i guess

1 - 11 of 11 Posts