Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to spend on my mac, it will be the biggest APC power system i can get my hands on.
what will yours be?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Probably buy a nice LCD monitor. :D

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Lars - You can get a LCD display for under a $100? :eek:

Personally, I'd go and buy a multi-button mouse. It would make scrolling nicer, and gaming a little easier, but thats an extra I live without quite nicely.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Lars - You can get a LCD display for under a $100?
Once again Chealion proves my inability to read.
I thought it said a "few" hundred dollars...

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
I would donate it to the local School Lunch Program that supplies hot school lunches for dozens of children each day. Sadly, these children go to schools that are spending more and more on PCs, and NOT Mac computers, rather than on library books and a hot lunch. My check is in the mail (it actually is, since this is what my wife and I give each other for Christmas and Hanukkah, a donation to our favorite charity or non-profit organization).

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I'd buy RAM - as much as I could get for $100. Probably couldn't afford 512MB.

Cheers :-> Bill

·
Canadian By Choice
117,494 Posts
Moonsocket, you are correct. I misread the main focus of this thread. I stand corrected. FYI, the local SPCA is the group for whom my wife chose to have my gift sent.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Assuming it's $100 US I'd buy a wireless router for my iBook.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I'd buy one of those little usb hard drive thingies. That's about all I have left to buy for it....or maybe the isight...but that's a little more than the one hunny.

nice signature moonsocket

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
My suggestions:

1) More RAM, if you're at 256 or less.

2) If you can squeeze TWO hundred bucks out of your wallet? Panther -- particularily if you use an older G4, as it'll run faster and feel oh-so-smooooth!

3) If you have Panther, a multi-button pointing device, just to get Expose under your fingers, baby!

4) If you can squeeze TWO hundred bucks out of your wallet and are running an old AGP GPU that doesn't run QE, hit Clickon Mac Solutions and buy an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro for $189.00!!! That is by far the best price for that card I have found (bought one, myself).

·
Registered
523 Posts
You're asking about an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), by APC (American Power Conversion), correct?!

I just picked up the APC BE500U-CN from FutureShop, $79 +tx. Seems OK, pulled the plug and everything kept going fine (kinda eerie, actually). An LCD iMac is rated at getting 50 mins of uptime off the battery. I imagine a sleeping iMac could go for days on battery.

There is a $59 model (BE350) that gets much less uptime (20 mins, I think) but if I recall correctly it had the advantage of being able to surge protect a coaxial line (cable modem) and the one I got only does DSL (phone).

There are plenty better (and MUCH more expensive) but if all you want to do is protect your home or small office equipment from surges etc AND comfortably leave your computer(s) sleeping when not in use the 350 or 500 are great, inexpensive options. If you are serving off your Mac I think the 500 would be a bit on the low side for your needs.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
What can I say, I work in the design industry and a lot of the stuff I use is more than most would ever need.

I'm content with the stuff I have... I'd probably take the wife out for dinner... or I'd probably buy a couple of shelves from IKEA that I need for my garage, storage and office.

There... I hit 500 posts.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Toss up for me...either an internal burner (using an external usb) or Panther (not a typo, $99 educator price, hope this doesn't start a hate teachers thread for the educator discount).

I bought an APC UPS from Futureshop for $29 (no rebate, just discounted) about a month ago. Model # BE350U. Nice to have especially at that price.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Hmmm.... :confused:

wifi router - check.
airport card - check. Hell, have an extra one.
Panther? about to get a new unit, so I'll get it then.

I might just get some books. Need a InDesign one and maybe a GoLive/LiveMotion pack as well. That should be it. Would consider maybe a used set of soundsticks + iSub. ;)

H!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts