Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Tritium Glow
7,136 Posts
I guess the decision was made before he snubbed the Dalai Lama in favour of the oppressive Chinese government.

Obama is starting to disappoint many people.

·
R.I.P. Marc - 01/29/2022
117,654 Posts
I guess the decision was made before he snubbed the Dalai Lama in favour of the oppressive Chinese government.

Obama is starting to disappoint many people.
I think that Obama is wothy of the Nobel Peace Prize, but I too was dismayed over his postponement of a meeting with the Dalai Lama. We shall see.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
You win the prize because of this???:

Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel Committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve"
Not awarded for any works completed, but for works the committee would like to see done.

The OP capitalized wrong word in his title, should have been: "If He leaves just one legacy."

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Not awarded for any works completed, but for works the committee would like to see done.

The OP capitalized wrong word in his title, should have been: "If He leaves just one legacy."
Exactly. This is purely political. It is way too premature to give anything to Obama because he has yet to accomplish much.

The Nobel Peace Prize jumped the shark when they gave it to Yasser Arafat.

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
It is absolutely crazy that he should win the award now. Let's see if he actually accomplishes anything first. :rolleyes: It is just plain nuts, Al Gore all over again! Looks like the Noble Peace prize has been downgraded to the People's Choice Awards. :eek:

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The usual lap puppies out in force yapping...nothing new there.:rolleyes:

••

He got because he is out there talking to the issues directly with the parties

PRESIDENT OBAMA WINS NOBEL PEACE PRIZE. ... [T]he committee said it wanted to enhance Mr. Obama's diplomatic efforts so far ... An intellectually honest approach suggests the latter's concerns are not unreasonable. ..
and in particular for his taking away the very provocative missile shield.

Obama new missile defense policy to shield Russia too?

02 October, 2009, 12:57

The US administration's recent decision to scrap plans for an anti-missile defense shield in Europe has warmed relations with Russia, but replacing it with a new shield is now on the agenda.
Obama new missile defense policy to shield Russia too? - RT Top Stories

but for those still reliving the 50s this is not likely good news...:rolleyes:

summary

OSLO – U.S. president Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in a stunning decision designed to encourage his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism.
Praise, shock greet Obama's Nobel win - thestar.com

Pretty clear reasons....

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
and in particular for his taking away the very provocative missile shield.
I doubt Obama had much to do with that. More likely a deal was struck for the Russians to back off on some other issues (e.g. Iran).

If he had a choice, I think Obama would have said no to the prize because this is probably going to hurt him more politically than help him. The media will have a field day with this one.

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
God Doc, get over yourself!! No one of us if any more a lap puppy than you; whose views are always predictable...

The "lap puppy" s**t is getting old and tiresome.

Give it a rest... not everyone has to agree with you and your particular penchants and shouldn't have to suffer your trite little self important quips just because they don't.

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
Why must you call those whose opinions differ from yours "lap puppies" at every turn?

Their opinions are just as valid as yours, so suck it up and stop it already with the name calling.

Or, to use another of your favourite shots . . . grow up.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Why must you call those whose opinions differ from yours "lap puppies" at every turn?
Because he has a penchant for the nanny state and organizations like the UN, the Nobel Prize committee and the federal Liberal Party well represent that agenda. Questioning the validity of these organizations is seen as a threat.

·
Premium Member
23,510 Posts
So, what's the thrust here?

Anyone who disagrees with any post you make for any reason is automatically fair game for name calling?

Is that it?

A "lap puppy"? What is that anyways? I'm not sure but I'll bet it beats the hell out of being a sheep, hiding in a flock, afraid of its shadow, but always willing to add to the din and the fertilizer stock.

If you don't want anyone to comment on or disagree with your posts/threads, then don't bother putting them up in the first place. Do you really think that 6.7 billion people the world over are going to follow your views lockstep? Get a grip.

There are other viewpoints on this planet. Get used to it.

Geesh...

·
Premium Member
17,859 Posts
This was way out of line given that OB is still pounding the war drums in Iraq, Afghanistan and is continuing let's bomb Iran propaganda campaign.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Actually, President Obama summed it up well when he first got the text on his Blackberry informing him he had won. He remarked that he thought it was a joke.The cutoff for 2009 nominations was, I believe, February 1st. At that point Obama had been President for only two weeks. The Peace Prize used to be awarded for a tangible contribution to world peace over a period of time. Now, it seems, merely being a celebrity qualifies one for what used to be one of the world's most prestigious awards.

·
Premium Member
18,006 Posts
Not to diminish the importance of the things Obama appears to be trying to do... but I can't help but think that part of this award is due to the fact that Obama isn't Bush, and he's talking to the rest of the world like an educated adult, rather than a loaded-for-bear Texan evangelical wingnut... The Bush / Cheney administration was outright dangerous. Obama at least gives people some hope that the US is becoming a "nicer" world neighbour.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You win the prize because of this???:

Apparently you do. According to the Associated Press' article "Common misconceptions about the Nobel Peace Prize":

_ Myth: The prize is awarded to recognize efforts for peace, human rights and democracy only after they have proven successful.

More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I'm beginning to think that the Nobel selection committee consists of the editorial staff at The Onion.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.