Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its too bad about the trading post rules being pushed so hard lately. I don't know if the rules have always been this way and just never really got enforced or if these are something new. I usualy really enjoy reading all the different comments posted under FS: posts. I've learned a lot from them. Often some of the questions that get posted are ones that some potential buyers would not have asked, and without seeing these questions and answers for themselves they will never know. I think that the freedom of speech on ehmac is a wonderful thing. It reflects a tightly knitted community.

Granted there are some people out there that seem like they are just out to criticise, and challenge the integrity of sellers. But I think in the long run, I myself, was better off with things that way. When a system is listed incorrectly, or there are questionable specs/hardware, people need to know it and read it in the public forum. After all, not all sellers know their system like the back of their hand. Some of them have never opened up the box, or even opened the system profiler.

Either way Ehmac is still where its at. But that was the one thing that got me here and kept me here. The free speech, and constant flow of information.

[ February 01, 2004, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: zigzagry ]

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not just you. I have been very disapointed with the lack of systems for sale over the past few weeks. Im not claiming that the rules have affected this though.

I just dont have a problem with scrolling through a post and checking out everyones 2 cents.

some of those folks who always have something to say (welcome or not) seem to have been moderately silenced. I miss them already.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think it is important to keep the very negative comments off and I applaud ehMac for sticking to his guns. It's just that - I have been on this forum for a couple of months. I started out just looking for a couple of particular items. Never realy thought I would stick around. I have found it interesting and well... yes- fun. PArt of that fun were the comments and interection not just in the other post areas but the selling post. I may be wrong - but the 'lack' of posts lately may be in part to some of that being changed.
A little of the interest in the selling area may wane if there is less interaction. My 2 cents.

Comments?

·
peek-a-boo
16,575 Posts
I've seen it happen at several boards. Clamping down on comments, bumping and price checks etc. always causes the interest in the buy/sell forum to wane, every time. I think the negative stuff can either be zapped, or it certainly gets challenged, and as said makes for interesting banter that I too have learned a lot from. There's always people who abuse, and it's sad to clamp it all down tight as a drum. Just my humble 2 cents.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a great broken record

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming. Does anyone like the new changes?

Keep it coming. Let me have it.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I have always liked to browse the Trading Post between long-winded rants. I've even bought and sold a few items there. All transactions have worked out to be very satisfactory.

But it does seem to have gotten a bit quiet in there lately. :(

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
For the record, I too have always felt I learned many things from the exchanges and questions on items being bought or sold.

I have only ever responded once, about three weeks ago when a member in B.C. needed a USB keyboard. I sent him the keyboard and tossed in the matching mouse, which cost me $9.82 in postage to mail. I asked the chap for $10.00 which he paid, so I got .18 cents for the keyboard and mouse.

I reasoned I was not using it, and a fellow ehMacer had a need.

To me, it is the spirit of the trading post that matters, not the amount of exchanges which I think are pretty much harmless.

Having said that, I also realize there may be server space issues the Mayor has to deal with that we don't even know about. Whatever he decides is fine by me.

I just hope the trading post can continue as it serves a valuable purpose. I think that is especially true for our very young members who are trying to establish their Mac systems without much available cash. I remember how tough it was for me to get things I wanted when I was their age and I applaud them for using the trading post in their efforts.

Not everyone on this board can afford the high end systems some of us enjoy.

Cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am also a little perplexed at the "policies and procedures" references as I have not seen anything myself in the trading area that has been untoward. I think the essence and attraction of EhMac, is that people speak their minds and thoughts openly. (The MacNutt vs everybody else discussions are delightful)

The fundamentals of a parliamentary system is that people can express their views without sanction and that it is OK for people to express different views and if needs be, challenge others. What I like about this forum is a real sense and comfort that we can have different views and that is OK. What I have also noticed is that those in conversation tend to regulate themselves through the interchange.

The policies and procedures thing I respect but I don't understand why it is needed here.Who I find here on EhMac are an interesting and civilized bunch of people by and large and this reading of the riot act, in my view, is a bit of a wet rag.

That's one view anyways

·
Registered
802 Posts
I visit the Trading Post regularly and have made good use of it. There have been threads which were:

(a) extraordinarily useful and informative - an education in Mac hardware all on their own:

(b) unecessarily negative and unfair to the seller;

(c) necessarily inquisitive - vigilance which probably discourages some scurrilious sellers we don't want anyway.

(a) is the most common, (c) is highly desirable.
I would like to see an agreement among members to prevent (b). This would spare the moderators' time and effort.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like the change.

It's too hard to enforce vague policies (is that an oxymoron?) Previously, every few weeks there were requests to have no pricing comments. And every few days, somebody would chirp up with their smarmy comments on "a bit too high" or "how about $xxx?"

Just as irratating as the daily bumpers.

It would be great if people could govern themselves, but after a few attempts, it doesn't seem realistic.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
The only real moderation I've done in the Trading Post has been to delete or just edit posts, putting in a reminder of the rules. Posts that are of an entirely PM nature (eg. I PM'd you, or How do you want to ship?) are not needed, as they are generally unfair to other threads.

However, good discussion does happen, and hopefully we can devise a system that best serves the purpose of the Trading Post without harming the discussions. (That said, 15 bumps, and a few comments, eg. How much for this? is not good conversation. Discussion and clarification on say the differences between the Rev. A and Rev. B of a is.)

The easiest way to make this system is try things out and get feedback. ehMax loves feedback, in order to make life here better. I'm just here to help in whatever ways I can.

At least that is my 0.02, and what I've been doing.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I think the PM specific posts should be kosher. I've overlooked the PM flag for up to a week or two on occasion.

Often both the seller and the prospective buyer are on a tight schedule. They should be able to email/PM/post PM or email reminder just to expedite things.

JMHO.

·
Registered
336 Posts
For me the two things that should be enforced are:
A- Negative comments on pricing and the ones who are quick to chalalnge a sellers integrity. AND
B the ones who are doing the daily bump/ usless comment to get their item to the top of the list.

AND a possible C - I do not mind the feedback being listed within the sellers post.

The questions, as long as they are about the price and something trivial as say "shipping" then should be allowed. Some people, especially the newbies, have questions and they will not ask. They may feel uncomfortable or that it may be foolish. When they see others aking similar questions that they may have it encourages them to do the same.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts