Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the MacBU, IE Development has ceased.
Although they are supposed to be releasing an update for IE on Monday, which is the first one in over a year.

Full press release as reported by MacCentral can be found by clicking here.

Summary:
"Support for IE 5 is not ending, but we will no longer be developing future versions of Internet Explorer," Jessica Sommer Product Manager for MacBU told MacCentral.
IE Development has ceased because they believe they won't be able to stand against the competition presented by Safari (which is beta software for cripes sake).

The MacBU is unable to compete as the Apple team has unfettered access to the Operating System. (Apple has been working with Microsoft so that the MacBU will be able to work with the operating system the most effectively).

Its also important to note that IE 6 as a standalone application is being discontinued for Windows.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Yeah, I already saw this earlier. See if I care - Safari would beat IE senseless anyday. ;)

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Well, seeing as IE for Mac was last updated early last Fall (minor security fix) this is hardly anything to get upset about. IE for Mac seemed crippled from the outset. The problem is that some sites just don't work with Safari yet. I hope these problems aren't due to MS-specific tagging/Active-X coding.

Microsoft is unlikely to put much effort into IE for Windows mind you since they've ablated the competition and will incorporate it into the OS.

·
Registered
645 Posts
As noted sites are disappearing that did work in Safari a week ago such as our Canadian Government websites.(The Canadian Military website has vanished with Safari for over a month now) I have to use IE in order to access those sites. What websites are next that will have no access by Safari??? I hope this isn't a Canadian thing bug happening.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
If you develop on a mac and can't test on a browser 80% of the people use? I still test on PC's of course, but it's nice to have IE to test right in OS X.
You can still test it with IE 5.2.2...

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Future being 2005/6? Since IE6/WIN is frozen and IE5/MAC is EOL'd, there won't be any changes in IE specs until Longhorn which isn't due for release till 2005. This will have a catatonic effect on web development since most net users use IE (>80%). IE doesn't handle CSS3 or DOM or transparent PNGs so, in effect, MS is forcing website development to stick to what was in place in 2000. Of course there are work-arounds and plug-ins, but noone wants to force a visitor to download a new plug-in to view their site. The wind has been taken from the sails.

But.... there is a silver lining. Apple can drive innovation by introducing features on its web sites that are W3C compliant and add utility but are not handled well by IE. This will encourage Safari uptake by Mac users and add compelling features to Apple's web interface. They might even release a Windows compliant version of Safari (can't be too hard). Anything compliant with Safari is likely to be adapted to Konquerer and Opera and so inertia could be re-introduced with MS being seen as fossilizing.

IE for Win and Mac is pretty good in standards compliance for web operations but what we don't see is the lack of DirectX hooks in IE/Win that allow it to be the interface for Windows specific applications. My bet is that MS will decide to play their own game and introduce proprietary tagging to a much larger extend in Longhorn with the pretext that its integral to the OS and web access of IE2005 or whatever is only a small part of its functionality. Linked to a similar programming APIs in .NET applications will generate the MSnet while the rest of us are left to swim in the open internet.

MS is in the enviable position of dictating standards. But it is in the precarious position of having to maintain its dominance and growth. From 5,000 ft, you don't even see the little guys on the ground as you stomp them into the ground on your mission to remain upright.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
BTW, everytime I see "Longhorn" it makes me think of Microsoft developing another means to more effectively gouge/gore people. There again, you could also imagine it as a wolf in sheeps clothing. Jaguar (jagwire) and Panther aren't exactly submissive monikers either.

·
peek-a-boo
16,612 Posts
What will this mean for web developers? If you develop on a mac and can't test on a browser 80% of the people use? I still test on PC's of course, but it's nice to have IE to test right in OS X.

·
peek-a-boo
16,612 Posts
Yes that's what I mean. (2005) Similar to when I do director work, I have both versions of software on a mac, and PC to develop. I'm wondering if web development will go the same route.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For OS 9, IE 5.1.7 should be released later this month, as it will give the same bug fixes and maintenance that this release gave to 5.2.2

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I have Internet Exploder 5.1.6 for OS 9.2 and it crashes on my favourite "Amish Rake Fight" site, Funny it never crashed with the earlier versions.

Oh well...Back to Mozilla.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
From now on, any sites that don't work with standard features or "require" Windows or IE will be getting a letter from me. I will point out that it takes no more work to support 100% of the market than it down 80 or 90%, and that I expect them to choose technology that allows 100% of browsers to work, not 80 or 90.

For those that won't listen, I'll simply boycott them and send letters telling them why (not to the webmaster, but to the actual managers, CTO, etc.).

Will it work? Some yes, most, probably not. But if I can convince others to do the same, it may carry some weight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts