Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to burn a movie onto a disk for days now and no such luck. I've been going through iDVD's OneStep DVD by movie and it says insert a blank dvd. I do so, and as it starts to encode it stops and says please insert a blank disk. Theirs nothing on it. It wont accept it at all.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
I dont have a solution, but maybe a work around. Save it as a disc image from iDVD and try burning with disc utility.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cant save as disk image if its straight movie to dvd. I don't want a menu, I just want the movie on the disk. If theirs another way to do this so I can watch on dvd player please tell me.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Depending on your source, you could re-encode to a divx/xvid codec, put it on cd/dvd and watch it that way.

Could give Roxio Toast a try. Or if you have a windows machine/partition you could use Nero.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mm yeah i guess. but I just wish I could do it all on my mac and I dont want to pay money. Plus I leave for school in nearly 2 months and its not like I can get to a pc to do anything

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IM going to try something before I try that. Going to create in a menu and all that. See if I can put to disk image and start from there.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
What dvd-r brand are you using? I have had lots of problems in the past using some different brands. Now I stick with Fuji, Sony and Verbatim. Brands like TDK are junk, or were when I used them.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ahh the menu thing I tried didnt work, stopped at encoding like every other time... Either it is the dvd's or the actual program itself... & I don't have the name of them on me let me go find the blank disk again I put it away.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Ahh the menu thing I tried didnt work, stopped at encoding like every other time... Either it is the dvd's or the actual program itself... & I don't have the name of them on me let me go find the blank disk again I put it away.
Its not a disc problem if you tried saving a .dmg file. A second solution would be dont use iMovies 1 step feature. Save the iMovie. Then load up iDVD, select the movie from there, make a menu and click burn or try the disc image. I like to do disc image because it burns very quickly if I have to make another and dont need to use iDVD after that.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nooo nono. Its nothing from iMovie. Its a mp4 file. Thats it. Just a simple movie

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
k checked what type of disk and its a DVD+R Memorex. Pretty crap I know but its all I have to work with.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Maybe try dropping the movie in iMovie, save and go about it that way. Its obviously not the best way, but it just might get you through

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that'll decrease the quality its 720p right now.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
that'll decrease the quality its 720p right now.
It should not decrease the quality, iMove is capable of HD quality video.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Memorex are garbage.. my Mac Mini won't write to them either.. burns fail consistently. You need a new type of media.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Memorex are garbage.. my Mac Mini won't write to them either.. burns fail consistently. You need a new type of media.
They may be garbage, but I don't think thats the problem as he cant make a disc image either, and that has nothing to do with media whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
I just never noticed where he tried the disc image thing.. I saw that he tried to make menu's but, never reported back on the disc image. Either way.. it's good to know when the disc fails to burn later. :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Sorry to jump in here, but what IS a disk image? I've seen that option in the drag-down, don't know what it means. I'm burning about 30 DVD's for my students as a year-ending gift of the videos we've made together. All's going well so far; I have about 15 burned. Takes a while, though. The first burn was 20 minutes or so, the subsequent ones are 5-7 minutes. Sound right?
Secondly, my GB space on the MBook is weird - dropped from 48 GB to 37 GB. What's chewing up my space?
Thanks. Lots of quality advice here. I always seem to get my questions answered.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.