Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Spent most of last night and tonight capturing a wedding video and editing it this evening and now have it ready to go, but...

iDVD now says it is too big. It's 1 hour 10 mins - 4.4Gb. I am assuming the process requires a bunch of disk space in excess of the 300Mb I have left over.

But, can anyone tell me how much I need to edit this back? I can't see anywhere to change the bitrate [now that it's captured - I do see I can reduce capturing to 25fps from the 29.x fps I have, but that's no good to me now]

Is iDVD using JUST the edited video I have or is it trying to write the entire unedited segments? i.e. I took a 7 min segment and edited it down to 3 mins, the other 4 mins is gone, I hope. Right?

If anyone can offer assistance I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

·
Banned
7,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
For lots of elbow room, you could try a dual-layer disc - 8.5 GB. Also, Toast 8 and Popcorn support compression to fit larger projects onto smaller discs.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
For lots of elbow room, you could try a dual-layer disc - 8.5 GB. Also, Toast 8 and Popcorn support compression to fit larger projects onto smaller discs.
But will his G5 burn to a dual layer disc? If not, an external firewire enclosure and DVD-R/W DL drive would be an under-$100 upgrade.

·
Premium Member
23,459 Posts
Can't vouch for anything iDVD, but when we archive RAW files, TIF's & JPG's, we can typically put around 4.3 GB/disk. I don't think you'd need to shave off much.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And the answer is...

drumroll please...

In iDVD you need to set the default DVD size to 4Gb. Mine was set to 8Gb for some reason. I have an older iMac from Dec. 2005, I don't think this one writes dual-layered DVDs. I guess when installing the latest OS it took on that setting.

So, DVD is writing as we speak, did not need to edit anything down.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts