Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I have three computers, (Two PCs and a Mac) and they are all pretty much full, and so are two out of three of the external hard drives I have. I think the one I use for backing up my Mac is a 1TB and still has lots of space left. I am an avid photographer and can't go a day without taking at least 20 photos (huge files). I'm also a collector of music, and am trying to learn how to get into making videos (more huge files), too. Add to that all the day to day computer junk I collect, and I have way too much information to organize and get rid of, and very little time to do it.

Any suggestions as to how to approach such a monumental housecleaning task... or the best (and cheapest) way to store the stuff I still want to keep and still have reasonably easy access to?

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Well, you can always add more external storage. 1TB drives are not too expensive these days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
External hard drives....

LOL... I already have three externals, but I'm wondering if I should just add another internal one. I think I have room for one more on my PC and even those are pretty big and cheap nowadays, but that doesn't help me with my Mac storage problem.

I just don't know how to go about organizing an figuring out what goes where! I wish I could have a central storage place that both my Mac and my PC could access from anywhere (is that what a server is?) but for now... just looking for ways to organize better.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
It sound like you're looking for NAS (Network Attached Storage). Load one up with a few 1TB drives and you should be able to store everything you need on there.

aWindows Home server may also be a good chose, the shared folders are also Mac accessible. Here's one I've used and works well:

Canada Computers - Acer Aspire EasyStore H340 AH340-UA230N (Refurbished) Home Server (Black), Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, Integrated Graphics, 2GB Memory, 5x USB 2.0, 1x eSATA, 1TB SATA HDD (Max. 4TB), GigaLAN, Windows Home Server

It will also do automatic backups of your PCs and things like that.

Luc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts