Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well if you take the one I have, you can have matching end tables or two stepping stools. Maybe two door stops. Ok on a serious note. How about adding a PCI firewire card in there, then installing Linux and then some external firewire drives and using it as a fileserver. Cant think of anything I'd do other than that for myself.....

I've got a new toy.

A 8600 with G3 sonnet porocessor upgrade.
300 megs ram
16 gigs storage

any ideas on what I could make with it?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
The 8600 has RCA audio video plugs. I have mine hooked up to my stereo system so I can convert old vinyl records to CD. It works great in OS9.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I have a 7300 with a G3 card in it. I loaded a copy of Photoshop 5 on it. Now my three year old draws as much as she wants and just saves what she likes.
I figure it saves paper and she gets to learn how to use a mouse/keyboard.
Just a thought,
Robert

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
that was an awesome mac in it's time! along with the 9600 series...I liked the form factor a lot. Today there is not a lot you can do with it except some old games and basic word processing and email. You are hard pressed even to install osx on those...

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've got a new toy.

A 8600 with G3 sonnet porocessor upgrade.
300 megs ram
16 gigs storage

any ideas on what I could make with it?
If time isn't of the essence, a low-vidoe converter? When I first upgraded from an 8500/G3 to a QuickSilver, I would dedicate my 8500 to converting videos to/from DivX to various other formats. Start it up, leave it for a few days, and it'd be done. :D

If your into web development you could throw Linux on it, install Apache, and have a dedicated web server. True, OS X has Apache built in as well, but having a dedicated one is just as nice. I toyed with the idea of installing Tomcat on my QuickSilver before selling it.

·
Skeptical Mac Collector
596 Posts
I've got a few ideas for you although they involve using XPostFacto to install OSX.
1. [email protected] machine running 24/7
2. Music station attached to your stereo and using iTunes to connect to your large collection on your newer computer.
3. It would make a good server

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.