ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Performa 6400/200 that use EIDE I found a great cheap IDE HD now will the standard IDE hard drive work with the performa or do I have to hunt for a EIDE

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
It will work. but I am not sure if it will take over 8.4gb HD? The G3 i played with did not take bigger than 160gb.

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
The only problem will be with the drive controller and what it can handle - and I think you will run into a problem at the 9GB mark, which most machines of that kind will have. Some Macs however, will operate fine on a larger drive if it is partitioned, so long as the first partition contains the OS. Some controllers may exhibit timing problems, which was an affliction with some of the ATA-5 drives in combination with certain controllers. But considering this is more of a hackish project, I'd toss the drive in and see what happens. The worst result is that you can't get 40GB out of the drive - so perhaps someone will have an old 4-10 GB drive kicking around...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only problem will be with the drive controller and what it can handle - and I think you will run into a problem at the 9GB mark, which most machines of that kind will have. Some Macs however, will operate fine on a larger drive if it is partitioned, so long as the first partition contains the OS. Some controllers may exhibit timing problems, which was an affliction with some of the ATA-5 drives in combination with certain controllers. But considering this is more of a hackish project, I'd toss the drive in and see what happens. The worst result is that you can't get 40GB out of the drive - so perhaps someone will have an old 4-10 GB drive kicking around...
I have a 12 Gig could I install macos 9 in a 9 gb partion and mac os 8 in the rest

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
I have a Performa 6400/200 that use EIDE I found a great cheap IDE HD now will the standard IDE hard drive work with the performa or do I have to hunt for a EIDE
I believe that Mac can take a maximum size PATA (IDE/EIDE) drive of up to 120GB running Mac OS 9.1. But you can always install a PCI expansion card and overcome that limit.

I'm still using an Acard AEC-6280M PCI card in my present G4 MDD 1.25GHz Mac that was originally used in a G3 DT and migrated to a 733GHz Quicksilver previously.

It's actually faster than the built-in port on the G4 MDD and presently has two drives attached and running 10.05.7. The drives are actually 'seen' by the Mac as SCSI drives.

It's worked beautifully for years. ;-)

Patrick

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
^^^
I am just not sure if you could crank OS 8 over on a partition above the 9GB mark. But then again, it's worth the drive to Acton just for the fun of the drive...

·
Registered
839 Posts
I put a 30 gig drive in my 6500/300 with no issues

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe that Mac can take a maximum size PATA (IDE/EIDE) drive of up to 120GB running Mac OS 9.1. But you can always install a PCI expansion card and overcome that limit.

I'm still using an Acard AEC-6280M PCI card in my present G4 MDD 1.25GHz Mac that was originally used in a G3 DT and migrated to a 733GHz Quicksilver previously.

It's actually faster than the built-in port on the G4 MDD and presently has two drives attached and running 10.05.7. The drives are actually 'seen' by the Mac as SCSI drives.

It's worked beautifully for years. ;-)

Patrick
I would but a Pci card in but both my slots are used I have the video editing edition so one slot have video out and the other has ethernet

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I managed to get an 80GB IBM Deathstar into my 6500/225, although the present danger is some >120GB hard drives still use 48-bit addressing and won't work with any older Mac or PC.

If you want to go the SCSI route, you will need an adaptor but I will be switching a server from SCSI to Serial ATA in a few weeks. Last time the SCSI drives sat around for a few months and then went in the trash.

DealExtreme: $3.21 SCSI 80P To 50P Line Board (Green)

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
no I meant put os 9 on 9 gigs and 8 on the other 3
The only thing I'd see as a problem is that OS8 would be installed above the 9GB mark, so it may not be bootable. I do not know if this is a limitation of OS8 or OS9, though it is a very real limit with many older installations of Linux, as well as a limitation of installing OSX on earlier tray load iMacs.

It is worth the try, and if OS8 won't install in the 3 GB remainder - it's because it will need to be below the 9GB mark. If it does work, then it is all happy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts