Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for issue 38 of iCreate magazine. Actually I want one paticular article in the issue - how to create customized iPhoto book templates. If anyone has this issue, I'd appreciate getting a copy of the article.

Thanks,

Francis.

·
Registered
155 Posts
For £ 6.00 plus shipping you can get a back issue right from the publisher. Imagine eShop

I thought we had it bad when paying for magazines in Canada. But I guess when you add the value of a dvd with many of the UK mags. £ 6.00 is not that bad. It looks worse by time the stores here add on shipping and gouging to the cost and bring them to $20 CDN.

Steve

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just to possibly save you some money, I did a quick google search and found this short blurb about how to do custom photo book layouts in iPhoto:

Custom iPhoto layouts
What if you’d like to stick with the design tools built into iPhoto or Aperture but occasionally need a page design that doesn’t quite fit the mold—for example, if you want to overlap text and a photo, or want to add text in a layout that doesn’t accept text? If you have an image editor, such as Adobe Photoshop Elements (), you can create custom pages and then drop them into your iPhoto book.
In your image editor, create a page that is the same size as your photo book and set its resolution to 300 dpi. Design the page as you’d like, including text, photos, and other graphics. When you’re done, save the image as a full-quality JPEG, and then add the file to your iPhoto book project. Select the page where you’d like to use the image, and set the Page Type menu to One. Now drag the new image file onto the page. Your custom page design will fill the entire page and print at the same quality as the rest of your book.

And, a sample chapter from David Pogue's iPhoto Missing Manual book (may be a couple versions behind) is available for download from the publisher's site. It talks about making photo books, and the last few pages talk about "Complete Design Freedom for Geeks".

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/iphototmm/chapter/ch10.pdf

This information may not be as glossy as the iCreate magazine, but will likely give you an idea if you want to go there or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roger,

Thank you. I did search for this info, but only found the suggestion you've found - create the pages individually in Photoshop and then add them to an iPhoto book. For one or two pages this might be OK, but for a whole book it's not practical.

I'd like to create a template that I can use repeatedly. I think the article promises that and I haven't found the information anywhere else. I'll take a look at the Missing manual.

The UK magazines are ridiculously priced and most of what's on the DVD is freely down-loadable as freeware, shareware, etc. The only things of value are the tutorial files so you can follow the articles.

Thanks,

Francis.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I occasionally pick up iCreate too, but didn't do so for issue 38, but I am now curious what method they used to customize an iPhoto book - Photoshop, or under the hood tinkering with Developer Tools, a la Pogue's book. I must admit I hadn't fully read the Pogue excerpt when I linked it above, but have now. Interesting, and likely reserved for someone with some time and Developer chops on their hands. Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems I may have better luck with Aperture, where building customized templates is built into the software. Now, only if Apple could ensure that they won't be abandoning Aperture because of the competition from Adobe Lightroom.

Cheers,

Francis.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts