Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm helping a friend with his computer but his is newer than mine and has icloud. He's having trouble figuring out the filing system and is not techie! ICloud is new for me as I'm still using a 2014 MBP with OS Mojave. I've been watching videos about it but I still have questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.

My friend has the check mark beside Documents and Desktop in System Prefs: iCloud so they appear in the Finder sidebar under iCloud. The thing is the Documents folder is empty but there are some files under iCloud as well as all the folders. Desktop has 1 folder called "relocated items".

I'm confused about the files not in Documents and also wondering where he would save anything he wanted on his laptop if he didn't want it also in iCloud. Essentially, I'm trying to figure out if he has any local files separate from icloud. There is "On my Mac" but it's empty.

Can you shed some light on this or point me to a tutorial that might help me?

Thanks!

Premium Member
I'm helping a friend with his computer but his is newer than mine and has icloud. He's having trouble figuring out the filing system and is not techie! ICloud is new for me as I'm still using a 2014 MBP with OS Mojave. I've been watching videos about it but I still have questions that I'm hoping someone might be able to help with.
I would suggest that you call Apple customer support help line to get them to explain how things will work with his situation and you should be there possibly using a speakerphone so that you can hear the conversation and help him through any setups that might be required.

I would also suggest you both question whether he really needs any iCloud type of storage. It is not always the most perfect thing for many users to use and can complicate some use especially if it is not really required. ie: does he or will he need full access to all his mail and other files and photos Etc that might be stored on the cloud and have them all sync with any or all other iDevices (iPhone etcetera) he might be using.

Many users have lost many of their photos and other data by not understanding how iCloud works or syncs properly. A phone call to Apple's Help line will get things working for him and you to help him properly.

Good luck. 馃槒

- Patrick
=======

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Patrick, thanks for the suggestion. He does need access cross devices but I will chat with him about what all he needs and then we may call Apple.

Cheers,
Deanna

Premium Member
Personally I find Dropbox to be the simplest for cloud storage. I have had issues with OneDrive as well as iCloud. I don''t extensive use cloud service as I much prefer keeping things localized but over the years have kept Dropbox that I use personally and for work and to me it is the simplest for files. I don't do anything with iCloud I have to pay extra for.

Reactions: mcoltezo
1 - 4 of 4 Posts