ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with the introduction of the new iCloud drive, and the somewhat competitive pricing of the different tiers of storage in the cloud. something that apple didn't touch on with any details was the storage of photo stream..
will apple stop the current version of photo stream that saves around 1000 pictures with no cost to me?
If that's the case, that means that the free 5GB is a practical joke, and everybody will be forced to at least get the 20GB, be it 12 dollars a month but it's still an extra cost that came from nowhere!
Anybody have any insight into this? would they continue to keep photo stream as it is today? or will be it scrubbed and everybody will have to pay now??

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Photostream is built into everything now I doubt it will be scrubbed. But who knows until the new Photos app comes out and how they migrate everyone over from iPhoto and Aperture.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts
I think you're understanding is basically correct, the 1000 photo limit is being eliminated, in favour of allowing you to store your whole photo library in the cloud. As you point out for most the free 5GB won't cut it for this, though the price you quote is per YEAR not per month. (though it is charged as $0.99 per month, for those who weren't previously paying customers)

For those of us who were previously paying they're pro-rating and transitioning us over, I've been bumped to the 200GB plan for $44.99 per year, 4 times the storage for less than half the price is a pretty big improvement in my books. Yes I know it's still more expensive than some other cloud services (I pay for OneDrive too, (included in Office365). But iCloud is much more convenient as it's built in.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
I think PhotoStream and storing your photo in the cloud are 2 different things. Photostream was always meant for you to share and get your latest photos not store all your photos.

Apple Upgrading Existing iCloud Subscribers to More Affordable Plans - Mac Rumors
Just a day after unveiling new pricing for iCloud, Apple has begun emailing existing iCloud subscribers to notify them that the company is upgrading their accounts to the new price points and will be refunding them the difference. However, users will be allowed to keep the same storage sizes.

For example, a user subscribed to the 25 GB plan, which is no longer an option under the new iCloud pricing, will have their price reduced from $40 a year to $11.99 a year. The discounted price is in line with the new $0.99 a month price for 20 GB, although established iCloud customers do get an extra 5 GB. However, once a user changes their plan away from "legacy plans" like the 25 GB, they cannot return to them.

Apple says the new price points are in effect due to iCloud Drive, which lets users store and access data from any of their devices. The launch of both iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite will see the launch of iCloud Drive this fall.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's what I fear, eliminating the photostream, I'd rather have the drive for my iWork, GarageBand and iMovie files, and if I wanted to add all my videos and photos.. But keep those 1000 or so latest pictures outside of that equation.. I have waaaaaaay more than 500GB in pictures..

·
You are just an illusion
2,856 Posts
Just like that... you don't HAVE to put your library on the cloud. At least, it would be stupid for Apple to impose that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts